What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 3050 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #45736
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
As long as you have no vibs I would call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thats what Im thinking too. I got about 35 miles on everything and so far so good. Going to take it down a old hunting trail after work to settle everything in. Its just an easy path, Ive seen cars on down it before, but it should help break it all in. Maybe find a rock or something to flex on and see if I get any binding and to see if I have enough slip left

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #45737
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98

Thats what Im thinking too. I got about 35 miles on everything and so far so good. Going to take it down a old hunting trail after work to settle everything in. Its just an easy path, Ive seen cars on down it before, but it should help break it all in. Maybe find a rock or something to flex on and see if I get any binding and to see if I have enough slip left
U should have have plenty enough in the slip judging from ur pics. The DS usually compresses upwards more than it droops downward, depending on ur setup but still all should b good. Looks like the guy did a good job shortening it.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #45738
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327

You don't want one piece shafts anyway. When your shafts are no longer the weak point in the axle you make your gears the weak point. I would much rather break a stock YJ shaft replace it and be on my way then strip my gears out and ride a tow truck home

So u think if u put a one peice shaft it makes ur gears the weakpoint? The xj/tj shaft is no stronger than ur stock shaft...it's the same thing just one peice, same diameter, same metal. The ujoint is ur weak spot, all the xj shaft garuntees u is that when u put the TC into 4wd, u r for sure locked up front. U dont have that garuntee with the stock 2 piece, u lose vacuum for ne reason n u could end up stuck...I don't see y neone wouldn't want the one piece...but that's just like my opinion man( in my big lebowski voice).
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #45739
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
U should have have plenty enough in the slip judging from ur pics. The DS usually compresses upwards more than it droops downward, depending on ur setup but still all should b good. Looks like the guy did a good job shortening it.
Thanks! Its good to have some reassurance lol

The guy was actually a lot more knowledgeable than I first thought. I started talking to him about drive shafts and his truck...Hes got a 60 something power wagon with a huge cummins on 54" tires that is street legal, we're not quite in the same league

He still says tom woods shafts are junk but explained to me how he builds his heavy duty shafts and compared. He uses a cv section from a F350(I looked it up and think hes referring to the Saginaw cv, which gives alot more room for flex) along with thicker tubes, longer slip section, bigger yokes, etc. but at $450 I think Ill stick with tom woods and the like until Im running some 54s
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #45740
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What have you guys paid for your clutch kits? I found a Luk off parts geek for about 80 bucks, does that seem about right? I'm getting ready for a new clutch and inertia ring install and I want I make sure I order the right part

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #45741
Phungi
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped to over the knuckle steering! thanks to:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/1TNST-OTK.html

I am a fan of it!
Phungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #45742
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMY95yj
Spent most of the afternoon trying to get it to start. Cranks but no fire.
Coil?? Mine just crapped out recently.
When mine went I cranked it- cranked fine but no start
Checked the fuel rail for pressure and fuel- good
Pulled the wire from distributor to coil and grounded it out- got nothing
Changed coil....$32...cranked right up
Good luck
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #45743
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMY95yj View Post
Spent most of the afternoon trying to get it to start. Cranks but no fire.
Have you checked for spark and fuel?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #45744
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
Ohmy95yj

Crank position sensor or cam sync sensor
If you can find a mechanic that has the snap on mt 2500 scanner they can test it for you just by plugging into the plug under the hood by the computer
Ask me how I know lol
I would not just start replacing stuff. Stary a thread we can help you. First you need to know what is missing if it os spark that missing the above would be right. If ita fuel that's mossing it would be one of a few other things. Also does your check engine light come on imediatly at key on.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #45745
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why is there not a thread that details the basic steps for "Jeep won't Start"? I mean, it's ALWAYS the same: Got Fuel? What Pressure? Spark? Do you hear the fuel pump at turn of key? Any Codes? Here's how to read codes[Link].... etc.. seems like an FAQ ready to be written.. Just sayin'
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #45746
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

So u think if u put a one peice shaft it makes ur gears the weakpoint? The xj/tj shaft is no stronger than ur stock shaft...it's the same thing just one peice, same diameter, same metal. The ujoint is ur weak spot, all the xj shaft garuntees u is that when u put the TC into 4wd, u r for sure locked up front. U dont have that garuntee with the stock 2 piece, u lose vacuum for ne reason n u could end up stuck...I don't see y neone wouldn't want the one piece...but that's just like my opinion man( in my big lebowski voice).
Xj/TJ shafts use 760x joints which are stronger then YJ joints. Would stock XJ/TJ shafts make your gears the weak point? Probably not but when you start getting into chromo one piece shafts then yeah your gears become the weak point.

I actually like the two piece shafts for me because my jeep is my DD. There are a lot less moving parts with two piece shafts and it does save SOME fuel mileage. My vacuum system went out on my jeep so for now I just locked my shift fork over and am driving with my front axle connected but I plan to get a good Posi lok kit so I can have a reliable axle disconnect.

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #45747
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327

Xj/TJ shafts use 760x joints which are stronger then YJ joints. Would stock XJ/TJ shafts make your gears the weak point? Probably not but when you start getting into chromo one piece shafts then yeah your gears become the weak point.

I actually like the two piece shafts for me because my jeep is my DD. There are a lot less moving parts with two piece shafts and it does save SOME fuel mileage. My vacuum system went out on my jeep so for now I just locked my shift fork over and am driving with my front axle connected but I plan to get a good Posi lok kit so I can have a reliable axle disconnect.

My yj came stock with 760x, I still swapped to one peice from a tj. I wouldn't waste ur time with the posilock altho they arent bad by me means. Every one I no tho that has had one has ripped it out because it didn't work worth a dang. Having ur fork locked over is the same as having a one peice shaft...I just don't see the point not to, I prefer to have the seal in at the differential and way less extra parts that aren't needed on my axle. Shafts r 25 bucs to replace and very easy to find.mines held up fine to 36s n constant abuse so I have pretty good faith in the little Dana 30 is all I'm sayin haha I well set up vacuum system works just fine, just not my style.
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #45748
YjJeeper94
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ
What have you guys paid for your clutch kits? I found a Luk off parts geek for about 80 bucks, does that seem about right? I'm getting ready for a new clutch and inertia ring install and I want I make sure I order the right part
That the cheapest price I could find when I replaced my clutch last year.
YjJeeper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #45749
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

My yj came stock with 760x, I still swapped to one peice from a tj. I wouldn't waste ur time with the posilock altho they arent bad by me means. Every one I no tho that has had one has ripped it out because it didn't work worth a dang. Having ur fork locked over is the same as having a one peice shaft...I just don't see the point not to, I prefer to have the seal in at the differential and way less extra parts that aren't needed on my axle. Shafts r 25 bucs to replace and very easy to find.mines held up fine to 36s n constant abuse so I have pretty good faith in the little Dana 30 is all I'm sayin haha I well set up vacuum system works just fine, just not my style.
All I'm saying is for a jeep that sees more street time like mine does is that it is nice to be able to disconnect the front axle. Ideally I would like to have hubs but they are stupid expensive for a YJ d30 and not worth the money. The Posi lok kits aren't junk and work just fine if they are adjusted correctly.

Sent from my broke *** IPhone
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #45750
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Installed rock lights for the trail

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/bo...0Rock%20Lights
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.