What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 3050 - JeepForum.com

 1099Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #45736 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM
PA_YJ19
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Altoona
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98

Thats what Im thinking too. I got about 35 miles on everything and so far so good. Going to take it down a old hunting trail after work to settle everything in. Its just an easy path, Ive seen cars on down it before, but it should help break it all in. Maybe find a rock or something to flex on and see if I get any binding and to see if I have enough slip left
U should have have plenty enough in the slip judging from ur pics. The DS usually compresses upwards more than it droops downward, depending on ur setup but still all should b good. Looks like the guy did a good job shortening it.

PA_YJ19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #45737 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM
PA_YJ19
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Altoona
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327

You don't want one piece shafts anyway. When your shafts are no longer the weak point in the axle you make your gears the weak point. I would much rather break a stock YJ shaft replace it and be on my way then strip my gears out and ride a tow truck home

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
So u think if u put a one peice shaft it makes ur gears the weakpoint? The xj/tj shaft is no stronger than ur stock shaft...it's the same thing just one peice, same diameter, same metal. The ujoint is ur weak spot, all the xj shaft garuntees u is that when u put the TC into 4wd, u r for sure locked up front. U dont have that garuntee with the stock 2 piece, u lose vacuum for ne reason n u could end up stuck...I don't see y neone wouldn't want the one piece...but that's just like my opinion man( in my big lebowski voice).
PA_YJ19 is offline  
post #45738 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
grandboost98
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Durham/East Haven
Posts: 4,069
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
U should have have plenty enough in the slip judging from ur pics. The DS usually compresses upwards more than it droops downward, depending on ur setup but still all should b good. Looks like the guy did a good job shortening it.
Thanks! Its good to have some reassurance lol

The guy was actually a lot more knowledgeable than I first thought. I started talking to him about drive shafts and his truck...Hes got a 60 something power wagon with a huge cummins on 54" tires that is street legal, we're not quite in the same league

He still says tom woods shafts are junk but explained to me how he builds his heavy duty shafts and compared. He uses a cv section from a F350(I looked it up and think hes referring to the Saginaw cv, which gives alot more room for flex) along with thicker tubes, longer slip section, bigger yokes, etc. but at $450 I think Ill stick with tom woods and the like until Im running some 54s

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is offline  
post #45739 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM
AZdEvilYJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,617
What have you guys paid for your clutch kits? I found a Luk off parts geek for about 80 bucks, does that seem about right? I'm getting ready for a new clutch and inertia ring install and I want I make sure I order the right part

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '15 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline  
post #45740 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Phungi
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 77
I swapped to over the knuckle steering! thanks to:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/1TNST-OTK.html

I am a fan of it!
Phungi is offline  
post #45741 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
b_a_mech
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Navarre
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMY95yj
Spent most of the afternoon trying to get it to start. Cranks but no fire.
Coil?? Mine just crapped out recently.
When mine went I cranked it- cranked fine but no start
Checked the fuel rail for pressure and fuel- good
Pulled the wire from distributor to coil and grounded it out- got nothing
Changed coil....$32...cranked right up
Good luck

BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline  
post #45742 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMY95yj View Post
Spent most of the afternoon trying to get it to start. Cranks but no fire.
Have you checked for spark and fuel?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #45743 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
Ohmy95yj

Crank position sensor or cam sync sensor
If you can find a mechanic that has the snap on mt 2500 scanner they can test it for you just by plugging into the plug under the hood by the computer
Ask me how I know lol
I would not just start replacing stuff. Stary a thread we can help you. First you need to know what is missing if it os spark that missing the above would be right. If ita fuel that's mossing it would be one of a few other things. Also does your check engine light come on imediatly at key on.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #45744 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 4,911
Why is there not a thread that details the basic steps for "Jeep won't Start"? I mean, it's ALWAYS the same: Got Fuel? What Pressure? Spark? Do you hear the fuel pump at turn of key? Any Codes? Here's how to read codes[Link].... etc.. seems like an FAQ ready to be written.. Just sayin'

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 w/HnT Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R Busted Knuckles YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline  
post #45745 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

So u think if u put a one peice shaft it makes ur gears the weakpoint? The xj/tj shaft is no stronger than ur stock shaft...it's the same thing just one peice, same diameter, same metal. The ujoint is ur weak spot, all the xj shaft garuntees u is that when u put the TC into 4wd, u r for sure locked up front. U dont have that garuntee with the stock 2 piece, u lose vacuum for ne reason n u could end up stuck...I don't see y neone wouldn't want the one piece...but that's just like my opinion man( in my big lebowski voice).
Xj/TJ shafts use 760x joints which are stronger then YJ joints. Would stock XJ/TJ shafts make your gears the weak point? Probably not but when you start getting into chromo one piece shafts then yeah your gears become the weak point.

I actually like the two piece shafts for me because my jeep is my DD. There are a lot less moving parts with two piece shafts and it does save SOME fuel mileage. My vacuum system went out on my jeep so for now I just locked my shift fork over and am driving with my front axle connected but I plan to get a good Posi lok kit so I can have a reliable axle disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline  
post #45746 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
PA_YJ19
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Altoona
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327

Xj/TJ shafts use 760x joints which are stronger then YJ joints. Would stock XJ/TJ shafts make your gears the weak point? Probably not but when you start getting into chromo one piece shafts then yeah your gears become the weak point.

I actually like the two piece shafts for me because my jeep is my DD. There are a lot less moving parts with two piece shafts and it does save SOME fuel mileage. My vacuum system went out on my jeep so for now I just locked my shift fork over and am driving with my front axle connected but I plan to get a good Posi lok kit so I can have a reliable axle disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
My yj came stock with 760x, I still swapped to one peice from a tj. I wouldn't waste ur time with the posilock altho they arent bad by me means. Every one I no tho that has had one has ripped it out because it didn't work worth a dang. Having ur fork locked over is the same as having a one peice shaft...I just don't see the point not to, I prefer to have the seal in at the differential and way less extra parts that aren't needed on my axle. Shafts r 25 bucs to replace and very easy to find.mines held up fine to 36s n constant abuse so I have pretty good faith in the little Dana 30 is all I'm sayin haha I well set up vacuum system works just fine, just not my style.
PA_YJ19 is offline  
post #45747 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM
YjJeeper94
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LaGrange
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ
What have you guys paid for your clutch kits? I found a Luk off parts geek for about 80 bucks, does that seem about right? I'm getting ready for a new clutch and inertia ring install and I want I make sure I order the right part
That the cheapest price I could find when I replaced my clutch last year.
YjJeeper94 is offline  
post #45748 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

My yj came stock with 760x, I still swapped to one peice from a tj. I wouldn't waste ur time with the posilock altho they arent bad by me means. Every one I no tho that has had one has ripped it out because it didn't work worth a dang. Having ur fork locked over is the same as having a one peice shaft...I just don't see the point not to, I prefer to have the seal in at the differential and way less extra parts that aren't needed on my axle. Shafts r 25 bucs to replace and very easy to find.mines held up fine to 36s n constant abuse so I have pretty good faith in the little Dana 30 is all I'm sayin haha I well set up vacuum system works just fine, just not my style.
All I'm saying is for a jeep that sees more street time like mine does is that it is nice to be able to disconnect the front axle. Ideally I would like to have hubs but they are stupid expensive for a YJ d30 and not worth the money. The Posi lok kits aren't junk and work just fine if they are adjusted correctly.

Sent from my broke *** IPhone

Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline  
post #45749 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
bowtech
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mount Vernon
Posts: 87
Installed rock lights for the trail

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/bo...0Rock%20Lights
bowtech is offline  
post #45750 of 71003 Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
Installed rock lights for the trail

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/bo...0Rock%20Lights
Cool

I personally would be a little bit afraid of breaking those...

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (4 members and 2 guests)
axxxgijoexxxa , calvynandhobbs , DB_Cooper , killKIRK
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Not a good day today. :( CHRRRIS TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 39 08-14-2016 04:08 PM
I had fun today! Burnerman YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 06-18-2014 06:12 PM
what i did to my tj today? shovelhead Wrangler General Discussion 6 11-05-2012 12:22 PM
Hit by Bus Today Cooneys08JK JK Wrangler Technical Forum 32 01-07-2012 03:30 PM
New today AZGreenMonster YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 09-02-2010 07:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome