Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#60,061 ·
There are several different bolt holes/ slots that you can use, I'm guessing for different vehicles. They bolt directly to the stock YJ sliders :cheers2:

#60,062 ·
picked up 4 new shocks during shocktobe went to take off the old ones and couldnt get them lose ended up ripping out all the bed lining instead. Tried to remove the roll bars ended up cutting off the heads of 4 of them after stripping them out. jeeps been down for a week and some change i miss driving it almost there though

#60,063 ·
Michaelgoesrawr said:
Looked up my warranty file at work. I'm running a 760k6 belt right now and I've been getting slippage. The alternator adjustment is a PITA to work with. Would you guys go 755 or 750 for a new belt? The old one would stay as my trusty spare.
Having run into this same situation before, I ran the 755 but still had to fuss with the adjuster on two different XJs. I am always concerned with over tightening the belt on top of old bearings. Just be sure to keep it just where it needs to be. There's no way to avoid having to tweak the adjuster, the smaller belt simply takes some of the necessary movement out of the equation.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

#60,065 ·
#60,067 ·
picked up 4 new shocks during shocktobe went to take off the old ones and couldnt get them lose ended up ripping out all the bed lining instead. Tried to remove the roll bars ended up cutting off the heads of 4 of them after stripping them out. jeeps been down for a week and some change i miss driving it almost there though
Next time cut flats on them for a pipe wrench then get them glowing with a torch, they'll come out without a drill that way.

#60,068 ·
Shadownwpa said:
Next time cut flats on them for a pipe wrench then get them glowing with a torch, they'll come out without a drill that way.
You can also access the roll bar bolts from below the jeep. A week of PB Blaster soaking may have avoided that extra work.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

#60,069 ·
:hahaha:

Went and played in the snow that we don't have today. :2thumbsup:
Ha-ha. I was just up in Magalia tonight and it wasn't nearly cold enough for snow there. You must have been up in Quincy or something. Where'd you go?

Having run into this same situation before, I ran the 755 but still had to fuss with the adjuster on two different XJs. I am always concerned with over tightening the belt on top of old bearings. Just be sure to keep it just where it needs to be. There's no way to avoid having to tweak the adjuster, the smaller belt simply takes some of the necessary movement out of the equation.
I run a 90" belt... but that's with the York installed. Stock belt size is 76" I think. Anyway, there is a way to avoid tweaking the adjuster. You can run a belt tensioner from a Chevy. I saw that posted somewhere once. Kilby makes a kit that does the same thing, but as all things Kilby, it's rediculously expensive. You can do it yourself with a yunkyard part.

#60,070 ·
Bowman Lake area then up to Fordyce.

#60,071 ·
#60,073 ·
#60,074 ·
Bowman Lake area then up to Fordyce.
I did not know Fordyce was over there. Finally found it on the map. I thought it was farther South. Looks like a nice area to tool around in.

On your way to High Lakes?
No. Fixing (hotwiring) the pellet stove in my rental house. Probably going up to the High Lakes within the next two weeks.

#60,076 ·
Living out of a sail boat sounds just....... idk....

Just ordered more stuff... Which i shouldnt have done considering the list of stuff in my garage/build thread that still need done but it is what it is i guess!

Getting ready to go hit a trail in an hour. New trail no one has hit and lots of different opinions on how hard or bypassable it may be. Only one way to find out!

#60,077 ·
Had it in the shop again playing with it. First I read about turning the hood scope around to face the windshield. I have the Kentrol (came with the jeep) and at first I though it was a cheesy $10 part. I was surprised it was as sturdy as it was!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_33.htm

Though I still like the looks of this one better. But I won't buy another one if my current one works just fine.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_12.htm

After that, I took the driver side door apart and lubed up everything in there. Got the spring action working again on the door latch. I'll have to replace both door locks someday. While in there I found out why the window wouldn't roll down. PO forced it and bent up the guide rods so I had to straighten them out. Lubed that as well and now that works, good as new.

Now the fun part! A PO took the back seat out at one point and left all the mounting holes open. I wanted to fill those, but I didn't want to put just normal bolts in the rear holes because as everyone knows, you kneel on one and it hurts like hell!! So I was looking around my shop for something in a 7/16" and I found the perfect thing!!

Old Strut Mount Lugs from my 4Runner. Greased them and threaded them in. Channel Locks to snug them. I didn't want to crank them hard in case I ever get a seat again.

#60,078 ·
Living out of a sail boat sounds just....... idk....
It'd be fun if his boat was actually big enough to be living on. Looks like his might be a 23' boat, which is way too small for a permanent residence.