What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 2977 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #44641
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

They go hand in hand no? Need light to see bikini clad anything. Don't worry, I've brightened the scene only a little more since I left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #44642
stmanser
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question. Today when I was tinkering on the YJ, I noticed that it would be pretty easy to put the springs on top of the axle. I know this is a mod that can be done.. BUT, in doing so, does the driveshaft, or anything else need to be done?

I will start searching the forum, but was wondering from people that have actually done this, what they ran into. and possible things to watch out for?
stmanser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #44643
rawlston
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmanser View Post
Question. Today when I was tinkering on the YJ, I noticed that it would be pretty easy to put the springs on top of the axle. I know this is a mod that can be done.. BUT, in doing so, does the driveshaft, or anything else need to be done?

I will start searching the forum, but was wondering from people that have actually done this, what they ran into. and possible things to watch out for?
You will have to set your pinion angle correct but I know people who have gone soa without changing the driveshaft...all this said I would recommend a slip yoke eliminator and slip driveshaft of some sort to avoid driveline problems
Pocket
"Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat."
rawlston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #44644
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmanser View Post

Here's a thread on parts and such for an idea of what it entails
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-guide-471769/
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #44645
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Changed the oil , took it in for an emissions test and it passed even with a few fouled plugs. Removed the swaybar and trackbars. Replaced the engine mounts.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #44646
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14
They go hand in hand no? Need light to see bikini clad anything. Don't worry, I've brightened the scene only a little more since I left!
Need any desert testing yet?
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #44647
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Took my son on a spur of the moment camping trip. Do some wheeling and launch his model rocket tomorrow.

Sent by my pretentious iPhone.
Dude your a great dad. Its rare to come across a good dad and really rare for a great dad. Your the rarest of the rare. Thanks for setting a good example for your kids and the kids of people around you. Hopefully Ill be as good of a dad as you when I have kids. The closest I have been is the ex's kids. I really miss them

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #44648
NH2112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3783

As far as those mounts go, I would personally replace them both at the same time. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56...FVGf4AodM2UADA,
If you decide to make them, post the photos because that would interesting to see how it came out.
I welded one of those mounts in and within 2 weeks the metal around the stud flexed and broke off. I wasn't bottoming the shock, the patch I welded in to cover the rot hole in the frame was 3/16" thick and the shock wasn't that close to full compression. I ended up making one out of 3/16"x2" angle with gussets, and welding on the stud from the broken mount. That one got the living crap hammered out of it and hasn't shown any sign of weakening. The Quadratec ones are really cheesy and weren't much more than 1/16" thick.

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #44649
NH2112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam
Turned it into a jungle gym. Just built a new $600 playset and the dang kids would rather play on the jeep. LOL

I hear ya! The nieces & nephew like climbing on it as much as they like going wheelin' LOL

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #44650
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bought one of those BBQ mats to serve as a bed mat in the back of the jeep. Bought a bunch of MDF, some nails, glue etc for the new sub enclosure and some 4ga cable for the amp to replace the "8" (more like 10!)gauge that's there at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
NO

Cheers
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #44651
ItzaKaDoozie
1993 YJ Wrangler 

today - rotors, pads and calipers. tomorrow - master cylinder and booster. fun fun fun
ItzaKaDoozie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #44652
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Is that down there somewhere?
Its off the Mojave Hwy (Route 66) Private pond and land - LOTS of sand. We never got stuck, nothing broke, but we didn't catch any fish - so it all evened out in the end. Rocketing went very well. Kid launched it twice, one engine was a dud until we tossed it in the fire. THAT was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Dude your a great dad. Its rare to come across a good dad and really rare for a great dad. Your the rarest of the rare. Thanks for setting a good example for your kids and the kids of people around you. Hopefully Ill be as good of a dad as you when I have kids. The closest I have been is the ex's kids. I really miss them

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
I'm not sure a grab-n-go camping trip, overnight, qualifies me as father of the year, but I DID let him kayak with a cast on his arm... alone. That earned me a hug. If he woulda flipped, momma would have had my hide. He had fun, ran around barefoot for a full day.. IMO that's what kids need. Less computer time, more dirt time. Thanks for the compliment.

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #44653
JustinRutledge
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Heres what I did the past 2 saturdays...

After the accident:

After first round of dent pulling:

Decided to redo my hardtop because it was supposed to be black...

Decided to apply bedliner to my stock chrome rims to give them new life.

Onto the bondo and sanding

Everything is all smooth and ready for paint and primer.

For some reason I did not take any pics of the finished repair so I will post some tomorrow.

But I finished painting the corner, fender flares, hard top and rims. Also replaced my windshield. it has been a productive 2 saturdays.

Last edited by JustinRutledge; 05-25-2013 at 09:37 PM..
JustinRutledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #44654
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Justin what did you paint your hard top with ????

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #44655
JustinRutledge
1991 YJ Wrangler 

2 coats of wally world bedliner and then satin black spray can to finish it off. the last picture was pre-rattle can and was still a little wet so it looks blotchy. I will get some pics tomorrow of the finished hard top. Turned out nice and even when it was all dry.
JustinRutledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.