What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 2956 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #44326
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3783 View Post
Do you know which 15 amp fuse blew, IGN LPS? The alternator fuses from the stock PDC setup are 2 50amps in parallel with each other. I don't know if you have a sensor or a cable but one of those may be going out. I would check the continuity of the wiring to the cluster if you have a sensor type. If there is corrosion on any of the contacts or not properly seated, resistance will be created causing sluggish reactions if nothing at all. I would, as I'm sure you know, place a new 15 amp back in its place, with the whole fire, death, doom thing. If it blows the 15 amp again then you need to investigate why it's getting the higher amps into the fuse to begin with. The higher amp fuse, being designed differently, could, as it heats up, cause a higher resistance as it designed to run hotter than it's lower amp brother. Also your fuel pump is run off that IGN LPS fuse, so maybe see if that kicks in right away when you cycle the key. Hope that helps some.
It didn't blow one of the under dash, labeled circuits. I checked them all and they were all fine, including IGN LPS fuse. This morning I replaced the blown fuse with the correct amperage one.
Here's a pic of the block that contained the fuse that blew...

And here's my main block

I believe my speedo is cable driven. I'm still confused as to how it would become sluggish and unresponsive at the same time the fuse problem cropped up. It was working fine earlier yesterday so I'm fairly certain it's not corrosion, build up, or a busted cable or anything like that.

I'm also pretty sure that the reason that fuse blew is because it's some how tied to the circuit that I wired my fan into. I'll be moving the fan to it's own, dedicated circuit today to prevent future issues.

Still confused on the speedo though. :
Thanks and,
Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #44327
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im gonna live with it for a few days to see if its just something that needs to dry out, I did just take it swimming and proceeded to hose it down inside and out. So we shall see
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #44328
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
It didn't blow one of the under dash, labeled circuits. I checked them all and they were all fine, including IGN LPS fuse. This morning I replaced the blown fuse with the correct amperage one.

And here's my main block

I believe my speedo is cable driven. I'm still confused as to how it would become sluggish and unresponsive at the same time the fuse problem cropped up. It was working fine earlier yesterday so I'm fairly certain it's not corrosion, build up, or a busted cable or anything like that.

I'm also pretty sure that the reason that fuse blew is because it's some how tied to the circuit that I wired my fan into. I'll be moving the fan to it's own, dedicated circuit today to prevent future issues.

Thanks and,
Cheers
Who knows. When you had went wheeling you could have snagged the cable onto a branch that was sticking up and pulled the cable out. Stranger things have happened.

A quick test to perform on your speedo and cable is to unhook it from the transfer case and attach a drill on it, then turn on the drill. I believe that the drill will have to be in reverse, but to make sure, start out slow. If your needle dips down, then switch the drill to forward. I use my Dewalt 18V cordless which is a variable speed. I like to see the speedo change with the changing speed of my drill. If the speedo doesn't move, pull the cable out and inspect it for a possible break. If the cable is good, locate something that can go into the back of your speedo and use the drill on it.

But, If your speedo and cable works, then pull the speedo gear housing out of the transfer case where you had disconnected your cable and inspect the gear for chewed teeth.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #44329
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Built some locking boxes to mount in the back and cut my stock bumper to make it stubby... My pictures were too large, so I'll have to retake some and then I will upload them later.
KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #44330
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreepyCrawler View Post
Built some locking boxes to mount in the back and cut my stock bumper to make it stubby... My pictures were too large, so I'll have to retake some and then I will upload them later.

No need to re-take them, do this....

Very simple (assuming you are using Windows)....

This is a free image resizer program from microsoft.com Small program, easy to use, takes seconds to do, works perfectly.....

Click on the link below. It will take you to Microsoft's download web site.
You will see on the list "image resizer". Click the word "download" directly below it and go through the steps (save/run/install etc...)
Once installed, you right click on any image in your computer and a drop down window will appear. Click "resize image" on the list. A window will appear asking you what size to use. This forum uses "medium".
When you click the size you want it will make a duplicate of the image in your computer with the same name/number as the original with "(medium)" attached to it, and not change the original at all.
Flawless, quick, trusted. Merry Christmas.

(it's from Microsoft's web site, so you can trust it)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#2TC=powertoys
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #44331
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think my jeep was trying to give me an early warning sign. When I went to leave work I had to turn the key several times before the starter would engage and now after helping my friend move a sofa, it just clicks.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #44332
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

Thanks and,
Cheers
Definitely don't know what those fuses go to on the small fuse block, surely aftermarket thing. There aren't many 15 amp fuses in the wiring diagrams and none listed for the stock PDC setup. Well at least your alternator is charging again. Remmons advice seems perfect since you've checked the other avenues. Every time I've had speedo problems its been the cheap plastic speedo gear in the t-case spitting teeth. Hopefully you find the issue soon. Keep up the good fight.
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #44333
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not on Windows. I have a MacBook. I'll just have to find another way of doing it.
KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #44334
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Who knows. When you had went wheeling you could have snagged the cable onto a branch that was sticking up and pulled the cable out. Stranger things have happened.

A quick test to perform on your speedo and cable is to unhook it from the transfer case and attach a drill on it, then turn on the drill. I believe that the drill will have to be in reverse, but to make sure, start out slow. If your needle dips down, then switch the drill to forward. I use my Dewalt 18V cordless which is a variable speed. I like to see the speedo change with the changing speed of my drill. If the speedo doesn't move, pull the cable out and inspect it for a possible break. If the cable is good, locate something that can go into the back of your speedo and use the drill on it.

But, If your speedo and cable works, then pull the speedo gear housing out of the transfer case where you had disconnected your cable and inspect the gear for chewed teeth.
Went to try that and found out I do in fact, have an electronic speedo. :
I don't know why I had it stuck in my head that it was mechanical. When I installed my SYE I could have sworn I remember it being cable and not electric. Guess my mind is clogged up right now.

I traced the wires from the speed sensor in the Tcase and they terminate here

From that box I have no idea where they go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3783 View Post
Definitely don't know what those fuses go to on the small fuse block, surely aftermarket thing. There aren't many 15 amp fuses in the wiring diagrams and none listed for the stock PDC setup. Well at least your alternator is charging again. Remmons advice seems perfect since you've checked the other avenues. Every time I've had speedo problems its been the cheap plastic speedo gear in the t-case spitting teeth. Hopefully you find the issue soon. Keep up the good fight.
It's totally an aftermarket thing. My motor/trans are from an XJ and it's all wired together with a Painless kit. I've been going through the Painless .pdf all day trying to figure out what is what.

Once again I'm confused haha.

I did however, re-work my fan wiring once again. I bought one of these;

And installed it.

I figure I can tap into that block when I add lights and other junk later.

In the meantime, my speedo is still acting all Forest Gump.
:

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #44335
liveatibiza
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Installed a TB from an '00 WJ. Fired up the 2.5 and the squirrels were extremely pissed off!
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #44336
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

With my frame nearly ready I pulled the tarp off the body I've had sitting on a trailer for almost two months now and formulate the plan for the it... 95% sure I'm gonna scrap the tub and find one that isn't going to take another month of repairs to fix all the rust and disappearing body mounts. Looked around and found plenty of sellers wanting $400-500 for tubs that are missing the drivers floor and half the rocker . Looks like I'll have to leave the state for one.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #44337
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Today I put new speakers in the sound bar... Crutchfield had a killer deal on some "scratch & dent" Polk Audio speakers for $24.99!! I can not find a single thing wrong, even on the grilles. I did retain the stock Jensen speaker grilles though. They fit better, and why advertise good speakers! They sound awesome too! One of the old paper cone speakers was missing the foam ring around the paper cine completely!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #44338
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got my reservoir mounted on the b pillar roll bar and I will wire it all up Sunday with the rest of the wrenching on other jeeps. Gotta find out if all brake master
Cylinder fittings are the same. If so it'll be an easy swap.
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #44339
liveatibiza
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone explain to me why a '00 WJ TB wouldn't work in my 2.5?
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #44340
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I think my jeep was trying to give me an early warning sign. When I went to leave work I had to turn the key several times before the starter would engage and now after helping my friend move a sofa, it just clicks.
mine might be doing the same thing(warning me). It clicks about every 8 or 9 time. sometime it will go all day working perfect. And its a brand new starter
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.