What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 2462 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #36916
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not today, but yesterday I took it for the registration inspection......AGAIN!!!
Last time it failed for sloppy rear brakes, adjusted them and only the rear pass side works properly, drivers side seems to have a faulty wheel cylinder.
Other things it failed for:

Too many lights on the front. I have five spot lights! Takes ten minutes to take off and put back on after inspection.
Bumper isn't original.... It is, but I have a Renegade and have removed the stupid plastic cover and it is now only steel. Still stock though.
Replace roof cover (Hard/soft top) to check for colour/paint damage. SERIOUSLY!!!

I explained to the "technician" that the bumper was stock and his response was "It doesn't feel stock, it feels not original". After arguing the toss with the guy for a loooooooong time he was still not convinced that the bumper was stock, even though his supervisor told him it was and that he needed to remove it from the list!

I then explained that the jeep originally came with a soft top, and therefore would not be of any safety use and would only stop me from getting wet if it rained. It rains for, at most, 2 days per year out here! He said he needed to check the paint for cracks and damage. After 10 minutes of trying to explain that a soft top doesn't have paint he finally gave in and said OK, but get it replaced anyway!

Last time I took it in they said it was too dirty and that they needed to check the condition of the paint for any damage or fading. It had a very minimal amount of dust on it, which I cleaned off with a rag in two minutes and they said, OK, but keep it clean in the future!

Seriously gets my goat that they fail things for stupid stuff like this over here. Bloody guys working there have about as much mechanical expertise as my 2 year old boy.. No, scratch that, he knows how to turn a wrench when needed!

Unread 01-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #36917
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is absurd. They'll revoke your driving privileges if your PAINT is SCRATCHED? What??

I have no idea what Abu Dhabi is. Dictatorship?
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #36918
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I put it down to wanting to preserve the "pretty city" they would like to have. I hope it's more for surface rust checks rather than jus scratched/faded paint. Anyway, I thought it was more bizarre that they would fail a convertable 4x4 for not having a roof with good conditioned paint!
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #36919
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apougnet3701
Finally got around to fixing my stiff steering problem and steering wheel not returning to centre
Stabilizer?
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #36920
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymartin View Post

Not today, but yesterday I took it for the registration inspection......AGAIN!!!
Last time it failed for sloppy rear brakes, adjusted them and only the rear pass side works properly, drivers side seems to have a faulty wheel cylinder.
Other things it failed for:

Too many lights on the front. I have five spot lights! Takes ten minutes to take off and put back on after inspection.
Bumper isn't original.... It is, but I have a Renegade and have removed the stupid plastic cover and it is now only steel. Still stock though.
Replace roof cover (Hard/soft top) to check for colour/paint damage. SERIOUSLY!!!

I explained to the "technician" that the bumper was stock and his response was "It doesn't feel stock, it feels not original". After arguing the toss with the guy for a loooooooong time he was still not convinced that the bumper was stock, even though his supervisor told him it was and that he needed to remove it from the list!

I then explained that the jeep originally came with a soft top, and therefore would not be of any safety use and would only stop me from getting wet if it rained. It rains for, at most, 2 days per year out here! He said he needed to check the paint for cracks and damage. After 10 minutes of trying to explain that a soft top doesn't have paint he finally gave in and said OK, but get it replaced anyway!

Last time I took it in they said it was too dirty and that they needed to check the condition of the paint for any damage or fading. It had a very minimal amount of dust on it, which I cleaned off with a rag in two minutes and they said, OK, but keep it clean in the future!

Seriously gets my goat that they fail things for stupid stuff like this over here. Bloody guys working there have about as much mechanical expertise as my 2 year old boy.. No, scratch that, he knows how to turn a wrench when needed!

Did they check to see if it is the original color too?

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #36921
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well had fun yesterday but it ended abruptly when I disintegrated my drivers side ujoint.
I usually dont get into the gas much on this power monster 2.5l, well the new 35's claimed their first of many i guess.
phone-pics-063.jpg   phone-pics-064.jpg   phone-pics-065.jpg  
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #36922
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons
Well had fun yesterday but it ended abruptly when I disintegrated my drivers side ujoint.
I usually dont get into the gas much on this power monster 2.5l, well the new 35's claimed their first of many i guess.
Are those the stock shafts? I am running locked with tj shafts and 35s on my 2.5 and have't broken a shaft yet! But then I am in 2low when I 4low is't needed!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #36923
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i found that a shock popped off its mount yesterday... still not bad, the nut just came off
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #36924
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Are those the stock shafts? I am running locked with tj shafts and 35s on my 2.5 and have't broken a shaft yet! But then I am in 2low when I 4low is't needed!
Yes original, stock shafts. Running an Aussie locker in front also.
Hoping to procure some TJ shafts now to prevent further carnage.

Are the XJ shafts the same as TJ in that they run the larger Ujoints? 5-760X
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #36925
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post

The xj and yj have the same size... at least mine are.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #36926
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New windshield... getting the new club's sticker later for both Jeeps... now I must remember, the wheels side should always remain down
forumrunner_20130122_123841.jpg  

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #36927
predat
ASU Machine Shop Manager

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark
New windshield... getting the new club's sticker later for both Jeeps... now I must remember, the wheels side should always remain down
put a sticker on your dash reminding you which side is supposed to be up, lol.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #36928
BretB
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I took my doors off and drove through the desert going door to door trying to find this guys home. He was walking down the street in front of my house. Being in the shade of the hard top was a little chilly so I kicked on the heater and all was well. Haha
Did you find his home?
2000 TJ (wife's)
BretB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #36929
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by predat View Post

put a sticker on your dash reminding you which side is supposed to be up, lol.
I think my Jeep needs to know that.

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #36930
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post

I think later XJs had the larger joint, not sure on the year switch.

That said, a set with full circle clips or tack welding the caps wouldn't be a bad idea. What usually happens is you spit out a cap, the joint binds then snaps and takes out the ears of the shaft. Circle clips can help prevent that.

That said, I just upgraded to chromos after poping a TJ shaft and haven't had any issues since. Plus I carry a spare set of shafts when I wheel, it doesn't take long to swap them out (30 min) and then you can get off the trails on your own.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.