Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#32,101 ·
sweet! If I find a new job before they're gone, I'll be in touch!
I know the feeling. If I could afford them I would be buying as well.

John

#32,103 ·
He's got an engine with a 1-piece rear main. As far as whether it's in too far, that's hard to say. It doesn't look excessive, but to be on the safe side I'd put a new one in and seat it flush if it was mine. I'd also install a speedi-sleeve on the crank to give the new seal a smooth surface to ride on.
I was on my phone and couldn't see the picture sorry.

Now looking at the picture it seems in deep, but it seems to me that it is in even and could be seated correctly. How was the one that came out seated, was it flush or recessed like that one?

#32,104 ·
I was on my phone and couldn't see the picture sorry.

Now looking at the picture it seems in deep, but it seems to me that it is in even and could be seated correctly. How was the one that came out seated, was it flush or recessed like that one?
It was flush, but it was a different style. It had some sort of felt liner on the ID. I'm going to take NH2112's advice and give it a second go with a new seal.

Any tips on getting it seated properly?

#32,105 ·
It was flush, but it was a different style. It had some sort of felt liner on the ID. I'm going to take NH2112's advice and give it a second go with a new seal.

Any tips on getting it seated properly?
you may have to go with the socket idea, if you don't have one that'll match, might be a good time to get one for evenly distributing the ramming push force into the hole. Cept in this case if she screams when you turn her on, you're doing it wrong.

#32,106 ·
I usually just use a plastic hammer and tap VERY lightly around the circumference. If you do it right you can't seat it too deeply. In fact, I don't think you can even if you do it wrong.

#32,108 ·
Got this in today

Started cleaning up the axle to put the new race in there. I only got as far as extracting what was left of the shaft and draining the pumpkin. Tomorrow I will clean out all the shavings and double check the race. Ill grab some new bolts and get the bearing pressed on the shaft on my way home so it'll only take a few minutes to install the shaft and finally drive the jeep around again.

Some more pics of the break.

My engine skid came in to the post office this afternoon but they told me that they didn't want to sort through the entire pallet of mail today and I can have it tomorrow. Silly Ripon.

#32,109 ·
Box just arrived from Overhead, thanks amigo... Installing the pitman arm later and I'll get to take the YJ to class tomorrow all goes well :D
Glad to hear it got to you! Anyone else having issues with JF?

#32,110 ·
Well tonight I had a big decision to make. Watch the debate (ZZZZZZZZZ) or go out in the garage and work on something. Guess what decision won?

I picked up these pretty whipped 35x14.50-15 boggers already mounted on 15x10 rims in my 5x5.5" pattern. $40.00 for the two of them. I ordered a 5/8" square bottom cutter for my tire grooving tool. Just to dispell all the nay sayers, I never intend to drive these on the road so don't worry your children are safe in your minivan!

Going to take quite a bit of work but ought to be pretty cool!

Before

During

done (not really)

#32,111 ·
Finally got around to spraying my Jeep with the couple quarts of base color and half gal of clear coat this evening.

Got tired of trying to color match my doors, fenders, etc.

Should be able to throw the armor back on tomorrow night and maybe drive it to work on Friday and give my pickup a rest.. the pickup needs some front end work (steering linkage) which should be here on Friday. I think with all the work I've been doing on my Jeep lately its feeling neglected..

#32,112 ·
I got all the wiring, lights, lockers, harnesses all connected and put back in along with the dash and new switches... Tomorrow I start working on getting the engine running correctly.

#32,113 ·
Got this in today
Started cleaning up the axle to put the new race in there. I only got as far as extracting what was left of the shaft and draining the pumpkin. Tomorrow I will clean out all the shavings and double check the race. Ill grab some new bolts and get the bearing pressed on the shaft on my way home so it'll only take a few minutes to install the shaft and finally drive the jeep around again.
Just out of curiosity, what shafts did you have in that snapped?

#32,116 ·
It necks down a little right there. I understand why it broke and I have a new one with no cost out of pocket other than the new set 20 bearing which I already had laying around. With the new shaft, the kit will make my axle stronger than any Dana 44 out there. Now I've just got to find a second job so I can afford a selectable locker in the rear.

#32,117 ·
It necks down a little right there. I understand why it broke and I have a new one with no cost out of pocket other than the new set 20 bearing which I already had laying around. With the new shaft, the kit will make my axle stronger than any Dana 44 out there. Now I've just got to find a second job so I can afford a selectable locker in the rear.
You're finally spending your money instead of mine .. YEAH BUDDY :highfive:

#32,120 ·
Gotcha on the shaft neck down.

Glad to hear they took care of you.
They more than took care of me. I actually wasnt the original purchaser of the kit as a buddy of mine bought it and I am the second owner. They still warrantied the shaft and I was assured from a third party that I will not break one ever again.

These guys are amazing and have restored my faith in American (read: including Canada but not always excluding Mexico and everything south of it) parts and companies and the way they do business. I bought some more American made parts right after that and am now in the market for a high clearance transfer case skid plate. Just gotta get one really cheap as my funds are low but my stock skid is shiny!!