What did i miss on a nutter job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did i miss on a nutter job

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 08-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

What did i miss on a nutter job

I was helping a friend nutter his 90. Ran the wires, added the ground from the dist. to the batt, he even had a dist with the 18r/13r slots. I switched it to the 18r.
Well after it was all said done- no start. I confirmed spark by pulling a plug, double checked I was at TDC on the compression stroke (#1). Had to reset the plug wires on the cap since I flipped the plate, went back and checked TDC for the 3rd time, still no start.
I'm at a loss here guys, did I over look something simple ?

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

And all you performed was the Nutter? Does it attempt to start then stall or does it just keep turning over?

[QUOTE=Rproject;15815900]The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.[/QUOTE]
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Did you run a new twisted pair from the dizzy to the ICM? Check continuity on wires and connections?
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

@ jbrown, yes just the nutter, switched the dist plate from the 13r slot to the 18r slot
@ old 4x, yes we ran all new wire for everything.
Update- I switched it back to stock configuration, fired right up. The only thing I can come up with is a bad connection some where. I did however find some collapsed vac hoses and the carb (weber 36) has fuel dripping into the intake. I called the owner and told him my findings. He's gonna get that all fixed first and then we will do it again.
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The distributor pickup signal is very weak and prone to signal reflection from improper connection and/or wire length.

When I did mine, I added extra length so as to relocate the ICM. It would not run or ran very poorly. My connections were fine, wire was fine. Cut the extra length out and haven't had another problem for several years now.

The AC signal sent from the dizzy is around .5 volts, no room for error.

Not saying this is your problem, but I ran into it.
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought about that last night and cut about 10" of twisted wire out, maybe that wasn't enough. I'll try it all again after the carb gets rebuilt. I'm gonna change out the bad vacume lines today so hopefully it will help a little.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also added a bit of extra twisted wires to mine for an ICM relocate as well but didnt experience any issues. I also replaced the plug at the distributor with a 3 prong weatherpack plug because my OEM plug was green inside and out. I soldered all splices and heat shrunk them. If your using crimp splices I would definitely replace those. The distributor ground runs all the way from the ICM you may want to ground it to the block closer to the dizzy.

You said you put it back to OEM config and it runs? What exactly is different? Connectors? Splicing? Just the added wire? Does it run Nuttered in the 13R position?
One step at a time, figure out where the loose connection is.

Old ICMs also get squirrelly but since its about $60-70 I would not just throw a new one in. Probly not your issue but it was my main issue after going thru and doing the Nutter and other ignition electrical repairs chasing my intermittent shut down and random poor performance. When I relocated my ICM to the firewall I discovered something was loose inside my ICM. I would smack the ICM with a screwdriver handle and it would almost shut down.

Good luck, keep us posted.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

"Old ICMs also get squirrelly"

True words
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

True words
Old4x- the exact reason why our rides run a GM control module
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv View Post

True words
Old4x- the exact reason why our rides run a GM control module

Unread 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv View Post
I thought about that last night and cut about 10" of twisted wire out, maybe that wasn't enough. I'll try it all again after the carb gets rebuilt. I'm gonna change out the bad vacume lines today so hopefully it will help a little.
Did you double check you didn't cross the wires? Although they are AC, the phase is different if crossed. It will still work, but needs a very large physical adjustment at the pickup, IIRC.
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir, made absolutely sure purple to purple and orange to orange.
I talked with another local keeper this morning and his first question was " did you cross the wires? ". No, then he asked about the connections. When we go to do this again ill make the twisted pair shorter, see if that makes a difference.
Won't be for about 3 weeks though, being I have a week long school I have to go to and then my normal 2 week work schedule.
We'll get, with the help from this forum anything possible !
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
smimik
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went through the same exact issue when I Nuttered mine. I replaced the ICM and it fired right up. It fired up when I un-nuttered it trying to trouble shoot it. It didn't make since as to why but it has been running like a top after installing the new ICM.
smimik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.