what did I do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what did I do

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-14-2001, 01:27 PM   #1
BigBee

what did I do

Alright heres the deal. I went out the other day went throught a pound that was about 4-3 feet deep, I got stuck on a rock and couldn't move, I had to get another one of my firneds to pull me out the next morning. The jeep was sitting in the water over night. Now the problem is that the clutch isn't working, I'm still fixing everthing else that needs to be done (greaseing everything, changing oil etc..) when I have the jeep off it will shift into gear, but when I turn it on it won't shift. I've tried to shift it in gear and then turn the jeep on but it's like I don't have the cluth in. it just jurks foward. Does anyone know what the problem is, I need to fix this. Thanks

BigBee

BigBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2001, 04:23 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

You could have water/air in your hydraulic clutch line. Try bleeding the clutch lines to purge anything that shouldn't be in there. Another thing it could be is a stuck throw-out bearing. This is what is moved when the clutch is pressed in and if it sat in water overnight it could have become stuck. Just a couple of ideas - good luck!
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2001, 01:07 AM   #3
Keymaster

I'm fairly new with Jeeps myself, but this was the first problem I ran into. I had the exact same problem, except I didn't run my through a pond. I did, however, lose my clutch in a relatively short period of time. I bled the clutch line and haven't had any problems since. Shouldn't take you but a couple of mintues with the help of a friend. Just keep an eye on your clutch fluid and don't let it get too low...you may get a pocket of air in it.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2001, 08:07 AM   #4
93YJ

I left my 4cyl Jeep sitting in water over the hood during a storm one night. When I retrieved it the next day, the same thing happened to me. I proceeded to pull the inspection cover, and check the fluid, but nothing seemed to work. I then decided to start it in gear and drive it around some. The spinning of the clutch/bearings freed up what ever was stuck and it started working again....good as new like it never happened! If you still have the switch that won't allow you to start it in gear, you might try to drag start it....sure it may not be the best thing for the Jeep, but it'll work in a pinch.

Jay http://txtrailriders.com
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2001, 06:48 PM   #5
BigBee

Thanks everyone, I'll give everything a shot whatever works. I'll tell ya.
Unread 06-22-2001, 01:24 PM   #6
BigBee

alright I went and tried to drain the clutch the only problem is that the bleed screw wouldn't losen so I could bleed it. I put that losener oil on it and that didn't work. I tried it several times. I called around to a shop that my buddy works at and he said that I might as well try and turn it and if I brake it then oh well because it wouldn't come off anyway so I'd have to get a bleed line. So I did it and broke it. Now I'm woundering how much the bleed line will cost just for the part, or do I have to get the whole Concentric bearing and parts, and replace the whole thing. Thanks any info will help.

BIGbrokenBEE
Unread 06-23-2001, 11:07 AM   #7
Ferrisbeu

Unless you can get a shop to fabricate a new bleeder onto the line, you will have to replace the entire slave cylinder. If it is an 88 yj like mine, it is inside the bell housing. You have to pull the transmission to get at it. It is a unit that includes the throw-out bearing. Once you get the transmission out, the new unit just slides into place. The hardest part is getting the tranny out. Ive done it twice unfortunately

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.