What can cause the pilot bearing to go out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What can cause the pilot bearing to go out?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 10-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
rtillery34
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What can cause the pilot bearing to go out?

This is the second pilot bearing im having to put in, in the last 6 months. What causes them to fail? Bad bearing? Install incorrectly? Bent input shaft? Any ideas or suggestions to check while I have the tranny out would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

rtillery34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Contamination inside the bearing. Dirt or sand in the bearing at install.

Some people install the pilot bearing using a socket that fits the edge of the bearing race. This can sometimes be an issue if they pount on the socket too hard, deforming the edge of the bearing causing it to run hot and fail early.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

When the Co-pilot gives him the wrong frequency!!!
Ha, I keel me!!!

Seriously though, If you can switch to a bushing, you will see more miles. A bearing is will work fine, however one bad tap on the install and it is bad from the get go. Which may be your problem. If the original failed and the replacement was installed incorrectly, you may just have had bad luck. In my opinion, I would run a bushing! And check the input shaft bearing in the transmission.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
rtillery34
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the input! I thought as well it my have been during the install too. I checked the input shaft for looseness when I had it out the first time and the shaft bearing seemed fine but then again a 26yr old tranny may be ready for some new parts!
rtillery34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Perhaps put in in backwards, like I did here? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...lation-513450/

I've pounded in a ton of pilot bearings in my lifetime, but it wasn't until I put up that thread that I discovered there is a thin side and a thick side to the pilot bearing. Install the with "numbers out" and it likely will be fine. This one I drove in the opposite way and found that the rollers were binding since I damaged the race. Something to think about.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtillery34 View Post
This is the second pilot bearing im having to put in, in the last 6 months. What causes them to fail? Bad bearing? Install incorrectly? Bent input shaft? Any ideas or suggestions to check while I have the tranny out would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
A shaft needs to bearings to run true, which is why you have a pilot (it is the second point of support, with the input bearing being the main.)

Potential causes of pilot bushing/bearing failure?
- Failed/failing input bearing
- Bent input shaft
- Defect on input shaft pilot (especially if you have a bushing)
- Defective input bearing, allowing excessive shaft play (axial or radial)
- Insufficient lubrication (even though most pilot bushings are "Impregnite" - oil-impregnated sintered bronze - some grease on assembly usually does not go amiss. Just a touch - enough to augment the oil impregnated into the bushing. Use a bit more if you have a roller bearing. In either case, moly grease is preferred - since the lubricant doesn't get renewed, you need every advantage you can get. Use moly, unless you do a lot of water crossing -then go with a good lithium soap grease (like used on trailer bearings.)

Typical specs for input shaft movement are:
- Endplay (axial) - 0.003" or less
- Endplay (radial) - 0.002" or less
- Runout (indicates bent shaft) - 0.002" or less.

Endplay is measured by simply wiggling or pulling on the shaft, measuring runout requires turning the shaft. All may be measured quite accurately with a common dial indicator (run the sensor tip on the pilot surface, fix the base so it doesn't move and give you a "false high.")

Check the pilot surface visually for defects before measuring - if you see something, use your thumbnail on it. If you can feel it, it needs to be cleaned up (stoned flat) or the input shaft replaced. I do not know if a "sleeve" kit is available, but any machinist should be able to make something like that for you on a lathe. Turn the pilot down to size, turn a bushing to fit with the proper OD and an ID with a 0.0010"-0.0015" interference fit - heat to install (about 500*F should do - drop it on and let it cool.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.