What is this called and where can i get one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is this called and where can i get one?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What is this called and where can i get one?

So while i had my jeep at the tranny shop it decided to have a short which blew a few wires. It fried the choke wire pretty good but i can easily cut the fried stuff off and splice some fresh wire or even convert to manual choke.
My real problem is that blue and white wire that goes to the oil pressure switch which also melted the inside where the prong goes in. I need that whole new connector but can't seem to locate it anywhere and i am afraid that it is part of the wiring harness and might have to buy a new one just for that stupid connector.
Any help?
Here are some pictures.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Update and new question.
Ive been reading on the function of the oil pressure switch for the 4.2 and that all it does is activate the electric choke correct? So it was just one wire that leads from the oil pressure switch to the choke that fried.
So this means i can just convert to manual choke and cut off the dead wires and cap the end, then don't worry about the switch because it wont be needed?

Edit: I found out that the switch also activates the manifold heater relay, is that needed or can i run without it?

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 04-17-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes i believe thats all right, u can just convert to manual, its just a single signal that used to be controlled automatically, cut off the end and set up the manual choke
Rocky_Cosmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Cosmark View Post
yes i believe thats all right, u can just convert to manual, its just a single signal that used to be controlled automatically, cut off the end and set up the manual choke
Thanks i was thinking so, just needed some reassurance so i dont mess anything up.

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 04-17-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
CrushJeep

make your own with crimp connectors or heat shrink. you dont have to have the rubber housing on there and those connectors can be bought at any electronics place or ace or autozone. just make sure you use the size your suppose to have. and splice it where you need it.
CrushJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can always add your custom connectors rather than buy a new wiring harness. It's not clear from your description what shorted. Was it the pressure switch or the choke heater? The pressure switches are pretty generic, used by lots of cars. It should be easy to find (I added one to my old Chevy when I added a carb with electric choke)
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
You can always add your custom connectors rather than buy a new wiring harness. It's not clear from your description what shorted. Was it the pressure switch or the choke heater? The pressure switches are pretty generic, used by lots of cars. It should be easy to find (I added one to my old Chevy when I added a carb with electric choke)
It looks like the choke heater shorted, i was planning on replacing the switch also if i rewired it to be on the safe side.
I just went ahead and bought the manual choke conversion kit for like 10$ at auto zone as it was cheaper and i can live without the auto choke.
Thanks for the suggestions

Unread 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The part for the electric choke won't be working anymore anyhow because you're not running the stock carb.

The second connector is for factory A/C if you don't have it, it just hangs there, part of the stock generic wiring harness.

No idea what the melted wire is.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The manifold heater is good to have hooked up if you drive it in colder weather and use it as a dd.
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The part for the electric choke won't be working anymore anyhow because you're not running the stock carb.

The second connector is for factory A/C if you don't have it, it just hangs there, part of the stock generic wiring harness.

No idea what the melted wire is.
My electric choke has been working since i installed the carb in January.

That connector is not to the a/c it connects to the oil pressure switch in the first pic.

The melted wire is on the right side of the connector, you can see where burned the inside of the connector in the second pic, it runs from the oil pressure switch to the choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
The manifold heater is good to have hooked up if you drive it in colder weather and use it as a dd.
I might wire the manifold switch in later if it doesn't run well without it. In south texas cold is 50 degrees and the rest of the time its hot and in the summer its damn hot! So i think it will be fine.

Unread 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You're wrong, but that's OK, explain how that three prong connector goes on a two prong sensor. If you have an electric choke on the aftermarket carb, that could still be working not saying it couldn't only that if you don't have the stock carb it's not going to still function as stock. Most aftermarket carbs don't have electric chokes.

Since you have all the answers why did you ask a question?

Look at the second and fourth pics in post #3 here..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...lease-1004420/ Don't look like that goes to the oil sendor to me.

Last edited by timatoe; 04-18-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
CrushJeep

i have seen connectors with more prongs than the plug before and vice-versa. Usually they are made like that when another model has the same wiring harness but they use different sensors and etc. like using a harness the same on a 1993 as a 1995 or whatever you want to use as an example. I am not a Jeep Guru but i am a Caterpillar one and i see this all the time. Usually the sensor the connector is going on is the wrong sensor from a knuckle head putting in some after market cheap stuff or getting one at a junk yard off the wrong year model... You do have a point though... maybe thats why it burnt up. ya never know.
CrushJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You're wrong, but that's OK, explain how that three prong connector goes on a two prong sensor. If you have an electric choke on the aftermarket carb, that could still be working not saying it couldn't only that if you don't have the stock carb it's not going to still function as stock. Most aftermarket carbs don't have electric chokes.

Since you have all the answers why did you ask a question?

Look at the second and fourth pics in post #3 here..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...lease-1004420/ Don't look like that goes to the oil sendor to me.
I asked the question because in my first attempt to search for an answer i didn't come up with a definite answer, after further research i happened to stumble upon an answer. This post was just a backup if i couldn't find any substantial information, i was utilizing all my resources to find an answer.

I reused the carter choke to work with the motor craft so my choke set up was still stock and thats why it still worked.

And that connector does go to the oil pressure switch because thats what i pulled it off of, the A/C connector is tucked away out of sight. It has three prongs but there isn't a wire going from the third prong, its just for show.

Here the connector on the left is to the oil pressure switch the one on the right is for the A/C.

Unread 04-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You're right, I'm wrong, enjoy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.