What is this called and where can i get one? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
What is this called and where can i get one?

So while i had my jeep at the tranny shop it decided to have a short which blew a few wires. It fried the choke wire pretty good but i can easily cut the fried stuff off and splice some fresh wire or even convert to manual choke.
My real problem is that blue and white wire that goes to the oil pressure switch which also melted the inside where the prong goes in. I need that whole new connector but can't seem to locate it anywhere and i am afraid that it is part of the wiring harness and might have to buy a new one just for that stupid connector.
Any help?
Here are some pictures.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
Update and new question.
Ive been reading on the function of the oil pressure switch for the 4.2 and that all it does is activate the electric choke correct? So it was just one wire that leads from the oil pressure switch to the choke that fried.
So this means i can just convert to manual choke and cut off the dead wires and cap the end, then don't worry about the switch because it wont be needed?

Edit: I found out that the switch also activates the manifold heater relay, is that needed or can i run without it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 04-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Rocky_Cosmark
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scranton
Posts: 241
yes i believe thats all right, u can just convert to manual, its just a single signal that used to be controlled automatically, cut off the end and set up the manual choke
Rocky_Cosmark is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Cosmark View Post
yes i believe thats all right, u can just convert to manual, its just a single signal that used to be controlled automatically, cut off the end and set up the manual choke
Thanks i was thinking so, just needed some reassurance so i dont mess anything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 04-17-2010 at 02:40 PM.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 01:44 PM
CrushJeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 22
make your own with crimp connectors or heat shrink. you dont have to have the rubber housing on there and those connectors can be bought at any electronics place or ace or autozone. just make sure you use the size your suppose to have. and splice it where you need it.
CrushJeep is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,377
You can always add your custom connectors rather than buy a new wiring harness. It's not clear from your description what shorted. Was it the pressure switch or the choke heater? The pressure switches are pretty generic, used by lots of cars. It should be easy to find (I added one to my old Chevy when I added a carb with electric choke)
jay-h is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
You can always add your custom connectors rather than buy a new wiring harness. It's not clear from your description what shorted. Was it the pressure switch or the choke heater? The pressure switches are pretty generic, used by lots of cars. It should be easy to find (I added one to my old Chevy when I added a carb with electric choke)
It looks like the choke heater shorted, i was planning on replacing the switch also if i rewired it to be on the safe side.
I just went ahead and bought the manual choke conversion kit for like 10$ at auto zone as it was cheaper and i can live without the auto choke.
Thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 15,858
The part for the electric choke won't be working anymore anyhow because you're not running the stock carb.

The second connector is for factory A/C if you don't have it, it just hangs there, part of the stock generic wiring harness.

No idea what the melted wire is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Burnerman
Registered User
 
Burnerman's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 4,758
The manifold heater is good to have hooked up if you drive it in colder weather and use it as a dd.

96 ZJ.
05' Grand Cherokee Limited, 2"OME lift
Burnerman is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The part for the electric choke won't be working anymore anyhow because you're not running the stock carb.

The second connector is for factory A/C if you don't have it, it just hangs there, part of the stock generic wiring harness.

No idea what the melted wire is.
My electric choke has been working since i installed the carb in January.

That connector is not to the a/c it connects to the oil pressure switch in the first pic.

The melted wire is on the right side of the connector, you can see where burned the inside of the connector in the second pic, it runs from the oil pressure switch to the choke.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
The manifold heater is good to have hooked up if you drive it in colder weather and use it as a dd.
I might wire the manifold switch in later if it doesn't run well without it. In south texas cold is 50 degrees and the rest of the time its hot and in the summer its damn hot! So i think it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 15,858
You're wrong, but that's OK, explain how that three prong connector goes on a two prong sensor. If you have an electric choke on the aftermarket carb, that could still be working not saying it couldn't only that if you don't have the stock carb it's not going to still function as stock. Most aftermarket carbs don't have electric chokes.

Since you have all the answers why did you ask a question?

Look at the second and fourth pics in post #3 here..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...lease-1004420/ Don't look like that goes to the oil sendor to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Last edited by timatoe; 04-18-2010 at 11:59 AM.
timatoe is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
CrushJeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 22
i have seen connectors with more prongs than the plug before and vice-versa. Usually they are made like that when another model has the same wiring harness but they use different sensors and etc. like using a harness the same on a 1993 as a 1995 or whatever you want to use as an example. I am not a Jeep Guru but i am a Caterpillar one and i see this all the time. Usually the sensor the connector is going on is the wrong sensor from a knuckle head putting in some after market cheap stuff or getting one at a junk yard off the wrong year model... You do have a point though... maybe thats why it burnt up. ya never know.
CrushJeep is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
beachedjeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You're wrong, but that's OK, explain how that three prong connector goes on a two prong sensor. If you have an electric choke on the aftermarket carb, that could still be working not saying it couldn't only that if you don't have the stock carb it's not going to still function as stock. Most aftermarket carbs don't have electric chokes.

Since you have all the answers why did you ask a question?

Look at the second and fourth pics in post #3 here..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...lease-1004420/ Don't look like that goes to the oil sendor to me.
I asked the question because in my first attempt to search for an answer i didn't come up with a definite answer, after further research i happened to stumble upon an answer. This post was just a backup if i couldn't find any substantial information, i was utilizing all my resources to find an answer.

I reused the carter choke to work with the motor craft so my choke set up was still stock and thats why it still worked.

And that connector does go to the oil pressure switch because thats what i pulled it off of, the A/C connector is tucked away out of sight. It has three prongs but there isn't a wire going from the third prong, its just for show.

Here the connector on the left is to the oil pressure switch the one on the right is for the A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Do I let others drive my rig? No -- Why, because if this ship sinks i'll be the captain and I go down with this ship.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beachedjeepyj is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 09:56 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 15,858
You're right, I'm wrong, enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
What is this called? ckid222 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 04-01-2010 05:57 PM
what is it called 97_tj TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 06-18-2007 11:31 AM
What are they called Walkersteelhead TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 05-31-2006 06:07 PM
What is this called? BChamberlin TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 05-21-2006 10:19 PM
What is this called?? jeeplover27 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 04-29-2006 10:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome