What brand of tune-up parts to use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What brand of tune-up parts to use?

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What brand of tune-up parts to use?

What brand of spark plugs and what not are best for our Jeeps? I just this week got my 95 YJ and I would like to know what is considered the best spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and such?

Jeepfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did a tune-up on mine about two or three years ago - I only drive mine in the winter time so it's not used much outside of the season.

From what I've read around, go for the cheaper ones and not go for the 'performance' type. I would love to quote you the threads, but I believe it stems from the fact that our engines are tuned for the OEM / commonly-used spark plugs. I bought a pack of six, gapped them as spec'd in my Haynes manual (which I moved into a house a year ago and have YET to find again!) and it's run fine ever since.

If my memory serves (sorry if this isn't coherent, I've been up for a long time, it's late and I'm taking a break from issues at work, so my mind is a bit numb), I bought a 'tune up kit' from Quadratec. Came with plugs, plug wires, replacement distributor cap, oil filter and fuel filter. Again, I did this about three years ago so I couldn't tell you what I spent, but I don't think it was more than $60.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog View Post
I did a tune-up on mine about two or three years ago - I only drive mine in the winter time so it's not used much outside of the season.

From what I've read around, go for the cheaper ones and not go for the 'performance' type. I would love to quote you the threads, but I believe it stems from the fact that our engines are tuned for the OEM / commonly-used spark plugs. I bought a pack of six, gapped them as spec'd in my Haynes manual (which I moved into a house a year ago and have YET to find again!) and it's run fine ever since.

If my memory serves (sorry if this isn't coherent, I've been up for a long time, it's late and I'm taking a break from issues at work, so my mind is a bit numb), I bought a 'tune up kit' from Quadratec. Came with plugs, plug wires, replacement distributor cap, oil filter and fuel filter. Again, I did this about three years ago so I couldn't tell you what I spent, but I don't think it was more than $60.
Damnit man, go to bed!

Rest up and feel better.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Champion is oem. And will always work best. Believe it or not putting delco motorcraft etc will make it run different and often times poor.
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie-Evans View Post
Champion is oem. And will always work best. Believe it or not putting delco motorcraft etc will make it run different and often times poor.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I know Chevys I have owned are the same way, if I put anything other than delco in them they didnt run right and the flugs would wear or foul out faster
Jeepfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For plugs, I go champion. For everything else, I use NAPA Gold. It fits good and works good, way better than other stuff from elsewhere. For oil, it really likes the Mobil-1 synthetic 10W30.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.