What is better offroad? A YJ or an XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is better offroad? A YJ or an XJ?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

What is better offroad? A YJ or an XJ?

Okay, what is better offroad, an xj or a yj?
stock
and with modifications to the stock suspension, without changing the type of suspension...what i mean is that the yj has to keep 4 leaf springs all the way around, and the xj has to have coils up front and leafs in the rear?

Unread 10-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For me it would depend on what type of wheeling is being done (YJ has a frame, XJ does not), if you have a family of 4 (XJ has more room). The XJ would be a better DD as it has more room and rides better. However, I love my YJ. Nothing like putting the top down and taking the doors off while cruising around. I would love to have an XJ for a DD though.
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
StitchMup
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Are you serious.? What the heck is an XJ?? No seriously your answers might be a little bias in the YJ forum..ya think?
[color="Black"][center][size="4"][font="Showcard Gothic"][color="Black"][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color="Black"]Built Not Bought #56[/color][/url][/font][/size][/color][/center][/color]

[QUOTE=ziebartrob;8192765]I find that if you stick it in from a left or right angle instead of straight down it works no problem.:p[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh boy I hear the bashin' commin' already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Hurley91

I would say YJ, I am bias tho
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

one thing i do love about wheeling a YJ, you do not have all that glass to worry about if you get pined against a tree. Also body damage is easy to deal with on a YJ due to the flat sheet metal
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol i was expecting biased opinions, i also posted the same thing in the xj forum hehe. let the games begin
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
geaganj
2006 WK 

Well, since I own both an XJ & a YJ, I can tell you ... BOTH!!! I love them both. However, I'm not a hardcore wheeler, so I may not be the best person to ask. I do know the longer wheelbase has it's pros & cons & the turning radius of the YJ helps maneuver the trails easier, but I have done similar obstacles in both vehicles. It is a much nicer ride out to & from the trails in the XJ (both creature comforts & suspension), but I agree with Plato, there's nothing like top & doors off!!! So, to wrap up ... I love them both!!! I'm sure some more hard wheelers will give more details, but I'm happy with both of them.
'00 Black XJ, 3" RC lift, Safari Rack (sold...I miss it)
'95 Flat Black YJ, 2.5" RC lift w/1" boomerang shackles, Smittybilt front & rear bumpers
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on the terrain and the experience of the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
white_elephant
1991 YJ Wrangler 

just get both

EXPERIENCE ISNT BOLT ON
I DONT GO FAST, I GO ANYWHERE
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Truth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are things I like about both vehicles. The simplicity of the YJ, and the suspension and wheel base of the XJ. The XJ's leaves have an off set center pin so when torque is applied the rear end will raise up firmly planting traction on the tires. The linked, coiled front is can be very flexy, and I like the wheel base for steep climbs and decents. Some came stock with a rear D44, and the D30 already has one price shafts, (low pinion though) and they came with the AW4 for the better auto. BUT, you have to do a ton of work to them to fit a decent size tire, they have too much glass, and too much sheet metal.

For the way I wheel it's all about simplicity and function over form. That's why I prefer the YJ.
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
jeep-dangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well in stock trim im gonna say the XJ is a better rig. And I do own a YJ now. Modified im gonna say the YJ is better.
I wheeled my yj when I first got it, bone stock and it wasn't overly impressive and articulation wasn't in it's vocabulary.
A stock XJ has coil springs up front and is SOA in the rear, hence better articulation for a stock vehicle. Ive owned a couple xjs. Xj is also more stable at high speeds due toi the longer wheel base.

THe YJ when modified flexes very well, has a shorter turning radius and is easier to squeeze larger tires under. And very cheap to setup.
I wish I had an XJ still for the odd occassion.
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
jeep-dangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i forgot to add the local classifieds are filled with XJ's in the 500$ range, so ya, they are a hell of alot cheaper.
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj's can usually be found cheaper than a yj of the same condition. Coil fronts allow for more axle articulation, but really with enough money, you can make those leaf's flex pretty well too. It's apples and oranges.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
hevybluzer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one of each. They are both fairly stock. So:

The XJ has more surface area to damage and is somewhat harder to repair body wise.
The YJ seems to be easier to work on overall.
The XJ can carry more stuff.
The YJ can go topless.
The XJ is better for winter DD (heat and weight)
The YJ has a bigger "cool" factor.
They both get crappy mileage.
The YJ is better in the tight stuff.
The YJ is "stiffer" (ouch)
The YJ is "stiffer" (stable platform)
So I say it all depends on what you are going to do with each. I'll call it a toss up in my case.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.