What Auto Trans in 88 YJ 4.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What Auto Trans in 88 YJ 4.2

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Richo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What Auto Trans in 88 YJ 4.2

Is the TF999 the only automatic tranny that came in the 88 YJ with a 4.2? Thanks for the help!

Unread 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
bobbert350

yup for your jeep yes
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A TH727 from a Waggy will work. That's what I have. Parted out a $600 Wagg and used the 727/NP208 and both axles. Sold the 360 V8 and other stuff and pretty much got my stuff free. Waggs can be found cheap, just make sure it's got the drivetrain you seek, or you may end up with a TH400 with a quadratrac and passenger side drop. The 727/208 combo is nice. Used a YJ front driveshaft that I shortened, the rear is a Wag that I shortened too. The only pain is the kickdown attachment. I spent the money on a Lokar kit for that. I used a B&M race shifter since it was cheaper, it's a pain in the butt cause of the rev lockout lever. Everyone says spend the money on an Art Carr shifter. The stock skid plate can be modded to mount the transmission, takes a little imagination and a welder helps.

00 TJ 8.8 swap, 35's and 4.88's
learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.