What the &*%$# am I doing....... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What the &*%$# am I doing.......

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are a huge help so thank you!

Heres what I know for sure. My main "road" is asphalt but 4 days a week I work a horse farm and after it rains the trails get muddy as any other trail out there. also I drive on beaches about 3 or 4 times a quarter (roughly once or twice a month). She handles the beaches just fine in 4x4, never had a problem and have even helped pull other people around. But after a hard storm a couple weeks ago the farm trails were a swamp. between the deeper mud and downed trees across the path, my jeep was struggling. one time came way to close for comfort with the river bank after sliding down the side of the hill.

I realize some of these things are my driving... Ill admit it, I am not the best "wheeler" out there. But I think some of my issues can be solved with bigger knobby tires (increasing surface area) and more torque at the lower end which why I am interested in a engine and tranny swap with a lift.

Here's what my searching has led me to:
Engine swap to a 350
tranny swap to ax15 or nv4500
2.5"-3" suspension lift (need more ground clearance)
32-33" A/T tires (other suggestions would be helpful)
and a winch (what goes along with these? complete bumper changes?)

I really appreciate the help, any alarms being sounded out there? am I completely messing up yet?

1YJ_1life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How difficult is the 4.0 swap vs the 350? Im thinking if theyre both a pain in the *** go with the bigger one to justify the time more
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YJ_1life View Post
Here's what my searching has led me to:
Engine swap to a 350
tranny swap to ax15 or nv4500
2.5"-3" suspension lift (need more ground clearance)
32-33" A/T tires (other suggestions would be helpful)
and a winch (what goes along with these? complete bumper changes?)
Quote:
How difficult is the 4.0 swap vs the 350? Im thinking if theyre both a pain in the *** go with the bigger one to justify the time more
Knowing that you work around a farm, you'll already have better driving skills than most others. I grew up on a ranch, so I have already had miles of trails under my belt before I had gotten my drives license at the age of 16.

When I had first purchased my '88 YJ I was contemplating a V8 swap. I had an AMC 360, a SBC 350, and a BB 454 in my garage, but I had a '93 XJ 4.0 sitting in the engine bay. The previous owner had dropped it in and had begun to perform the conversion, but had gotten no further than that. After a year of tinkering and looking for advice on here (jeepforum) I had a strong running Jeep. After driving my 4.0 HO powered YJ for the last two years, I don't think that I'll ever do a V8 swap.

If you go with a winch, you necessarily don't have to install a bumper. All you need is a winch mounting plate, and most of them will work with your stock bumper. I opted for the Smittybilt front and rear bumpers because of a deer of all things. I wanted just a little more protection that what the stock bumper could provide. Plus they look cool.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to swap in a 4.0 into the Jeep you just bought, just sell it and buy one with the 4.0. You will be way ahead in time and money.
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainauti View Post
before you start anything other than maintenance, research. google is your friend. mods cost money. to do them right costs even more. good luck, there is a wealth of info here, so use it. again good luck, and welcome.
THIS EXACTLY. Research like CRAZY before you do anything. You will change you mine multiple times on what you want to do. There is literally an endless amount of options on what you can do with it. There is always something you wish you would have done differently. Your goal is to minimize those hiccups. Make sure that whatever you decide to do you fully stand behind it and know what your getting yourself into BEFORE you start in on anything. THEN dive in and have a blast. It's all part of it if you ask me. Welcome to the YJ world my friend.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
....Here's what my searching has led me to:
Engine swap to a 350 tranny swap to ax15 or nv4500 2.5"-3" suspension lift (need more ground clearance) 32-33" A/T tires (other suggestions would be helpful) and a winch (what goes along with these? complete bumper changes?) I really appreciate the help, any alarms being sounded out there? am I completely messing up yet?
No, you are not completely messing up. But you will be better off to not think in catalog part numbers as you do this. Build it for what works and makes sense. For example, a "lift" is achieved various ways- some better than others. But a lift isn't for clearance, mostly: tires are for clearance. The lift for the most part gives you room for the tires and suspension articulation. Ground clearance really only happens with a suspension lift- any body lift you do probably only benefits tire clearance or if you are raising the engine/tranny for belly clearance.

I like inline sixes- always have. But a carb'd 350 is probably easier than a 4.0 conversion considering. Either way you'll need to weld stuff and make parts work. In the short-term, you might consider 33 tires, springs and lift needed to make them work, and change your diff to an even lower gear than your 4.11s. That will let you at least run the thing without downing the vehicle for months. Which is what will need to happen if you work full time and are going to build this whole thing yourself in your spare time.

I am not new to 'wheelin but I am in the midst of my very first jeep project; this site is a good one. People here have actually done the mods hit the trail and aren't that stuck on picking parts out of a catalog. I have learned so much here. The threads have helped me translate my hot rodding experience and truck knowledge into jeep-speak.

Good luck on your project! It will be fun!
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
If you are going to swap in a 4.0 into the Jeep you just bought, just sell it and buy one with the 4.0. You will be way ahead in time and money.
...unless you're lucky like me where I only paid $400.00 for a 1988 YJ AND a 1988 XJ.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tossed the idea of swapping engines and tranny. just a big headache and I dont have the amount of time it requires.

but when it comes to lift... I want to run 31 or 32 x 8 all terrains, how much lift will i need to achieve this? online looks like alot of people have be going with 2.5", seems to be a great set up. What company will have my best interest with their warranty though? if anyone has experience with this part of buying I would love to hear from you. Old Man Emu, and BDS, and Pro-Comp seem to have really great customer service but i still want to hear from you guys with actually experience.

Also what is the difference between a Heavy or Light setup? I am assuming it has to do with the amount of weight on the car; bumpers, winches, guards and what not..

Thanks
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BDS has a life time no questions asked warranty. You need a total of atleast 4 inches of lift for 32/33 inch tires. I have 2 inch BDS springs, 1inch shackles and after this weekend a 1.25 inch body lift. With BDS or OME springs you get ALOT of flex once you break them in so even with a total of 4.25 inches of lift i still need to look into bumpstops.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can 31's or 32's with a 2.5" lift. A 1-1.5" body lift will help as well. The body lift makes it easier to clean and maintain the undercarriage while also giving extra flex room to run those 32's without fear of rubbing.

I'm running 31's with the OME 2.5" lift. The kit gave me just over 3" of lift due to the dead OEM springs. I love the lift. Smooth on road, flexy off road.

As for where to start ---- maintenance. Get her running like a champ, THEN start looking at the upgrades.

If your pavement driving is not highway driving, the 2.5l with 32's is a heck of a combination. The 2.5 came with 4:10 gears. That gear ratio combined with the low end torque of the 2.5 makes her a billy goat off road, but a dog over 55mph (with 32's or 33's). Our first YJ was a 2.5 with a 2.5" lift and 33's. She was fun as all get out on the trails, but couldn't get out of her own way on the highway. Around town she was fine, but try to get her up to 70 and she'd just laugh at you. I'm looking to get another 2.5 in the near future as a trail rig. The 2.5 came with the AX-5 transmission. The biggest beef with it is 5th gear. There's a clip that retains 5th gear and it has a tendency to break leaving you with a 4-speed. Upgrading to the AX-15 is a nice upgrade that removes the clip problem.

If it were MY rig, I'd get her running like the school wimp being chased by the football team. After that I'd lift her a couple inches and get some nice tires. Then I'd upgrade the trans and if after all that I decided I wanted more power, I'd drop in the 4.0 (since by then the AX-15 would be in place). Since the axles are already geared to 4:10, it would be quite the lethal combination with the right hands on the wheel.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You can run 31's stock with TJ flares.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With 3 inches of lift I rub my 33s bad sliced the tread in one. If you are gonna wheel it you need 4 inches. If it's a street queen your good to go. I don't run track or sway bars. Even with 4 inches I am gonna have to bumps top them

Sent from one of my electronic toys using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283
With 3 inches of lift I rub my 33s bad sliced the tread in one. If you are gonna wheel it you need 4 inches. If it's a street queen your good to go. I don't run track or sway bars. Even with 4 inches I am gonna have to bumps top them Sent from one of my electronic toys using JeepForum
Get longer bumpstops. Technically you need 6" to run 33's on an XJ. I do it with 3" and my tires are not chewed up because I trimmed and run longer bumpstops.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.