What the &*%$# am I doing....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What the &*%$# am I doing.......

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What the &*%$# am I doing.......

I am brand new to doing car modifications, changing fluids, brakes, valves, radiators, and turbos are nothing new but as far as transmissions, lifts, engine swaps, and electrical.. I am a lost dog.

Where do I start!? I just picked up a 1995 YJ with the 2.5L engine. 122xxx miles and 5 speed tranny. Where do I figure out which transmission I have? can I change the tranny to a T5? can swap a 350 or a 305 block into my baby?

I know for sure that atleast a lift is in the near future, and I definitely want to make my jeep a trail rig but I just am not sure how to start this process off right.

If someone doesnt mind giving me advice and help, it would be appreciated

(Pictures coming soon)

1YJ_1life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have an AX-15. It's a good tranny. Of course you can do a V8 swap. Loads of them on here with write ups.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
You have an AX-15. It's a good tranny. Of course you can do a V8 swap. Loads of them on here with write ups.
Wrong!!!

He has an AX5 he has a 4cyl YJ as posted.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As for putting in a T5 why? They never made a 4x4 version of the world class T5 that i'm aware of for a chevy, ford or jeep. Better off swapping in an AX15 or nv4500 or swap to an auto.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
captainauti

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YJ_1life View Post
I am brand new to doing car modifications, changing fluids, brakes, valves, radiators, and turbos are nothing new but as far as transmissions, lifts, engine swaps, and electrical.. I am a lost dog.

Where do I start!? I just picked up a 1995 YJ with the 2.5L engine. 122xxx miles and 5 speed tranny. Where do I figure out which transmission I have? can I change the tranny to a T5? can swap a 350 or a 305 block into my baby?

I know for sure that atleast a lift is in the near future, and I definitely want to make my jeep a trail rig but I just am not sure how to start this process off right.

If someone doesnt mind giving me advice and help, it would be appreciated

(Pictures coming soon)
before you start anything other than maintenance, research. google is your friend. mods cost money. to do them right costs even more. good luck, there is a wealth of info here, so use it. again good luck, and welcome.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Every one who buys a Jeep wants to put on a lift and tires, but how much lift and what size tires will be determined by how you wheel it. The first, and best thing to do with your Jeep is simply to wheel it like it is and see where your weaknesses are, such as traction, clearance, articulation, and power, then go from there. This will be specially helpful if you tag along with others, that way if you get stuck you can get some help. Once you have determined your weaknesses you can build up from there.

I have had my '88 YJ for over two years now, and I'm still toying around with ideas. Thus far, it has taken me every where that ihad wanted to go, except for gnarly rock gardens. But then again, rocks aren't my thing. All Icurrently have is a 2" lift via add-a-leaf (salvage yard leaves) and 31" Big-O Big Foot A/T tires. I am very happy with it just the way it is. But, I am currently in the works of gathering up a Ford 8.8 with rear discs (found and purchased and sitting in front of my house) and a front HP Dana 30 (also found and purchased) and install a hi-steer system and an SOA.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Join a local club and see what you'll be getting yourself into and build your jeep wccordinglb.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy View Post
Wrong!!!

He has an AX5 he has a 4cyl YJ as posted.
Whoops. Missed the 2.5 part.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
and a front HP Dana 30 (also found and purchased)
...to replace the HP Dana 30 that's already there?
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wheel It. Then go out and wheel it some more. Then wheel it a little more.

Figure out what you NEED to change to get through the terrain you will be wheeling on and start with those mods.

I drive a near-stock YJ and although I will be lifting it next year, wheeling it in the stock configuration taught me a lot about line selection, throttle control, air pressure, the need for rock sliders, as well as gave me the experience I needed to know what I need to change and more importantly WHY.

Modding for the sake of modding isn't a great thing. You need to get to know what you like to do offroad - mud, rocks, trails, combo - and then develop a plan with steps to get you to where you want to end up. The plan could change as things progress (and probably will) but if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

/2 cents

Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
Member: The Wrecking Crew

/f12 YJ MOAB TRIP March 2014 thread

Write Ups:
TJ Flares on a YJ
Forum Searching: An Illustrated Guide
How to Post an Image in your Thread

91 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/35
99 TJ 4.0l Ax15 Np231 4.88 D30 ARB/D44 Yukon FOR SALE
92 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D30/Chrys 8.25 -SOLD
93 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/D35 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YRMV though.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
...to replace the HP Dana 30 that's already there?
LOL, yep. The only way that I can get any work done on it is by slowly gathering the parts and work on it as time (and money) permits. This way when it comes time to build it up all I have to do is take a weekend, jack it up, remove the old axles, and install the new axles. I will have rebuilt both the front and the back replacement axles and added the hi-steer cross over steering, the heavier duty brakes from a WJ, and the upgraded drive shafts.
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

LOL, yep. The only way that I can get any work done on it is by slowly gathering the parts and work on it as time (and money) permits. This way when it comes time to build it up all I have to do is take a weekend, jack it up, remove the old axles, and install the new axles. I will have rebuilt both the front and the back replacement axles and added the hi-steer cross over steering, the heavier duty brakes from a WJ, and the upgraded drive shafts.
Gotcha. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Last weekend I swapped on a 136 amp alternator (since the electric fan swap and the winch, it's been unhappy) that's been sitting on a shelf for over a year. My waggy springs are still sitting in the corner of the shop (untouched for well over a year) while they wait for me to locate and set up an 8.8.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
czjeeper
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, don't waste any time on a 305.

And why a t5?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Gotcha. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Last weekend I swapped on a 136 amp alternator (since the electric fan swap and the winch, it's been unhappy) that's been sitting on a shelf for over a year. My waggy springs are still sitting in the corner of the shop (untouched for well over a year) while they wait for me to locate and set up an 8.8.
I have chosen to perform a SOA, so I have began to gather the necessary parts to perform a successful install. I have the 8.8 and the driveshaft adapter flange yoke, plus the SOA kit. All that I am waiting on for it are the calipers, rotors, hydraulic and parking brake lines, and sew seals.

I have most of what I need for the front HP D30 except for the hi-steer cross-over steering, and the brake parts, which could depend on what I use. I have heard that the 1999-2004 WJ steering and brake parts are the way to go, but I have 15" aluminum wheels, and the brakes may not be compatible with those wheels.

I have yet to perform the Blazer blower motor upgrade. I thought that I had all summer to get this done, but now that the temps are dropping like panties on lot lizzards I have to hurry up and get this done before it starts freezing outside. We have already had snow in our mountains, so it's only a matter of time before I run out of time.

Anyway, back to the OP. I'm sure that none of this will relate to the OP, but then again, maybe it will since this does have to do with one of the many options that we have to upgrade our rigs. This will give them a general idea what we do with our rigs, and if these various options are for them or not.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Well, don't waste any time on a 305.

And why a t5?
I am also a Chevy owner. I agree to not even waste your time on a 305. This motor was designed as a fuel efficient replacement for when the fuel economy restrictions had been put into place back in the early 70's and again in the early 80's. For what you put into a 305 you can put the same amont of dough in to a 350 and achieve more desirous results.

But then again, you can simply relocate your motot mounts, drop in a 4.0, and follow the good advice from that of cevans87 and que89. The 4.0 can be built to compete in v8 territory and you'll have tons of low-end torque.

Last edited by remmons; 09-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Added 4.0 info.
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.