What all do i need if changing gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What all do i need if changing gears

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-18-2001, 10:31 PM   #1
yjman

What all do i need if changing gears

What all do i need if changing gears i am going to put 4.56 gears in my dana 30 and rear35

yjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 11:11 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd be very leery of putting 4.56's in a D35C, seriously. I killed my D35C with 3.07's, 30" tires and an EZLocker. Now, my axle housing is about as straight as a San Francisco transvestite...

If you want to go ahead with 4.56's in your current setup, you need to know what your current ratios are. If you currently have 3.55's or lower, you will need new carriers front and rear. 3.73's and higher use a different ring gear carrier. This holds true for both front and rear axles.

You'll also need bearings, a shim kit, and appropriate gauges to set your gear backlash. In other words, if you've never set up a differential before, you probably want to take it to a driveline shop and let "the pros" handle it. If you screw up your setup, you'll eat your gears alive in no time - definitely a "bad thing."
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2001, 08:13 AM   #3
RodeoRob

I second the fact installing gears is a difficult process and probably should be left to the pros in less you are very confident in what you are doing. An incorrect gear install will eat things up in a heartbeat.

Even most of the guys i know that are expert wrench turners and DIY mechanics leave gear installs to the professionals.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.