Went wheeling, not sure what I broke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Went wheeling, not sure what I broke

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Went wheeling, not sure what I broke

Went wheeling yesterday and noticed late last night that I am now leaking what appears to be some gear oil on the passenger side of the front axle. I know this is very limited info, but I'm trying to get to planning while I'm sitting here at work. Could this be a simple ~$5 seal or is it likely something worse. I was planning on doing a d30 4.10 and 8.8 4.10 swap during the winter in favor of other upgrades sooner but if this is beyond a very simple fix I'll probably just change my priorities and start the junkyard search asap.

Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
nixer600

Sounds like a front differential axle seal. Long as the oil is leaking out the axle tube near the knuckle I'd bet that's it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for being so vague, yeah it's coming out near the knuckle.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42
Sorry for being so vague, yeah it's coming out near the knuckle.
Is ur axle stock? If so u had a 2 peice axle shaft on that side and the one prob leaking is a pain to replace. Ur better off losing the 2 peice axle shaft and upgrading to a one piece shaft from an xj or tj. If u plan on upgrading in the future might as well just do it now and save urself some trouble.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42 View Post
Went wheeling yesterday and noticed late last night that I am now leaking what appears to be some gear oil on the passenger side of the front axle. I know this is very limited info, but I'm trying to get to planning while I'm sitting here at work. Could this be a simple ~$5 seal or is it likely something worse. I was planning on doing a d30 4.10 and 8.8 4.10 swap during the winter in favor of other upgrades sooner but if this is beyond a very simple fix I'll probably just change my priorities and start the junkyard search asap.
Pretty common for that seal to go. Replace it and do the other one when you do your upgrade.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I am doing mine this weekend. It is labor intensive and you have to pull out the diff. If you plan to upgrade axles or add a locker, do it all at once. You are fine to drive it, just check that the level is full and top it off until you replace the seals.
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
I am doing mine this weekend. It is labor intensive and you have to pull out the diff. If you plan to upgrade axles or add a locker, do it all at once. You are fine to drive it, just check that the level is full and top it off until you replace the seals.
There is no reason to take out the carrier when replacing the right side seal unless it is part of a solid shaft conversion. OR, you have one of the very rare set ups with an inner c clip.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Does okay to drive it also mean okay to wheel it? I only ask cause I have a buddy who's been off being a combat medic for the last couple years coming into town in a few weeks and he really wants to go hit a trail or 2. Probably nothing crazy, just some light wheeling. Think I'll be alright if i pay close attention to the level?
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42 View Post
Does okay to drive it also mean okay to wheel it? I only ask cause I have a buddy who's been off being a combat medic for the last couple years coming into town in a few weeks and he really wants to go hit a trail or 2. Probably nothing crazy, just some light wheeling. Think I'll be alright if i pay close attention to the level?

Oh yeah, totally cool to wheel with. Hell, many of us have been running for years with it leaking, ha ha. It's a total PITA to replace, and as long as it's not gushing out, it's fine.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.