Went from an oil change to an engine rebuild... Thoughts? Tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Went from an oil change to an engine rebuild... Thoughts? Tips?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Went from an oil change to an engine rebuild... Thoughts? Tips?

I wanted to start by saying I love this forum, not sure if the wife does though .... I started out the weekend planning on doing an oil change on my 4.2 YJ.. While the oil was draining I jumped on here and saw the posts about putting the 4.0HO head on.. so then I thought.. Hmmm maybe in the near future.. Then while completeing the oil change I found metal flake. Dropped the pan to find a handful of metal shavings. the bearings and part of the timing...

So now the plan is to do a full rebuild of the engine.. I was thinking about boring out slightly , going with larger pistons while im at it... Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to stay away from or tips as this is my first rebuild.

I have a weber 32/34 carb now and already nuttered the YJ and did the Team Rush distributer cap swap. Will this affect anything?

I picked up the 4.0 head, valvecover, and exhaust manifold today from a local salvage yard for $30, Its the 7120 head, but was off of a 95 Grand Cherokee. I was thinking about switching over to the fuel injection being I now have it with the 4.0 head, but everything I read said to put the TBI, intake, wiring from an XJ. Is the wiring and everything the same from a Grand Cheerokee?

Anyone know If I can use this as part of my rebuild. I read on here that I need a VSS adapter. I think I have the VSS from the 4.0 as well. Can this be used again? Any modifications needed to use for the 4.2?

I wanted to ask the experts out here before I get started, just trying to figure out the best combination for power, drivability and gas mileage.

rksnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have any experience rebuilding the 4.2? Any suggestions or precautions for a rookie? This is my first engine rebuild.
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ive rebuilt a few 4.0L's. A lower end rebuild kit from advance auto comes with a machined crank and matched rod/main bearings for under 200$. Use RTV on waterpump, thermostat housings, they are prone to leaking due to the pitting on the aged aluminum castings. Rebuild the oil pump and replace every seal. -Jon

OLD YJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
Yonco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

search someone JUST did this and di a write up on it I think, and there are more on here to do this as well, with complete parts breakdown, pics etc.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks, I've done a lot of searching through the forums for a rebuild how to and haven't come across anything. If you know the link please repost it here. I will keep looking in the mean time, but didn't see anything in the yj or Cj tech sections.

thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.