Welding Hex onto Torx - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Welding Hex onto Torx

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Beerlover
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welding Hex onto Torx

Just a quick question about welding hex nuts onto torx.... Do you guys use the little 110 mig welders for this or does it require a bigger buzz box. I don't have any welding experience and thought if this was a 110 mig job it might be a good learning experience and also a good way to get rid of all the cursed torx bolts.

Would a 110 be strong enough to weld a nut onto a broken off skid plate bolt for removal?

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
DickeyeFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sure, just remember 3 things. No extension cord, good welder, and shielding gas.
DickeyeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've used my little 110v flux core welder to do that, and it worked just fine.
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I saw a guy who bent a 5-6 inch long round bar into an "L" shape and welded it inside the torx head to remove the torx bolt.. only down side was you needed room to spin the "L" around until the bolt was out... for example, this technique would work on torx bolts on tailgate, but not around roll bar. My thinking is, as a newbie welder, you may want to start with "L" brackets before you move to welding hex nuts as the "L" brackets maybe easier hold into place as you weld.
little_Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.