welded front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > welded front

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
murgg

welded front

i have a question about welding my from spiders. now i now it WILL break espesically with my tires but i was thinknig about doing it for one competition as d30 parts are cheap and plentiful.
my question is, how big of a chance is ther the ring and pinion would break before the shafts or u joingts? and when changing it back to a open carrier is it simply bold on the ring gears and put er in? or do you have to set ever thing up again that goes along with setting up gears?
im going to a 44 soon anyways too...
thank for the help

Unread 09-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you would have to reset the gears when you replace the carrier.... that's $300 around me...

if front shafts were as easy to replace as rears i'd so go for it as it's an easy fix... but front shafts are a pita, imo
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
murgg

yea thats wut i thought, probly not worth it then. maybe jsut wait for the 44 then
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
superjoe

why would you have to take the carrier out? and actually all you would have to do is make sure you put the 4 bolts that hold the carrier in back in the right order, and you will not be changing anything else.
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Jacked93

Just a thought... but I once heard that if you just tack weld the gears, the welds should break before anything else... is this right? If it's true, you might be able to get a couple of welds out of them.
Jacked93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
murgg

it would be easier to weld the spider out of the diff, and i would want to put a new open carrier back in after. just put the ring gear on the new carrier, that why i was wonderin about seeting the gear up again.
and i thin k your right about the tack breaking...before you get you drive it
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
jipjip

i just hope your going in a straight line if your welding the front, cause your steering will be non existent. have fun
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
murgg

would only be locked when in 4wheel, cus the disconnect. and the comp. i was talking about is in the mud. dont worry i know all the effect of a welded a diff just dont want to pay to set the gears up again.
int all the shimming and measureing for the pinion, so cant i jsut swap carriers. im not the most knoladgeable when it comes to the diff internals.
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
superjoe

as far as welded dif and turning i have a welded front and a spool in the rear (yes i have manual hubs) and on the road it does not even turn, and when i engage it in 4wd, the traction is AWSOME and yes turning is fun to say the least and i do Lots of 6point turns on the trail but untill i can get ARB's front and rear that is what i am running.
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.