weird vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weird vibration

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-29-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
halfline

weird vibration

I used to feel a very strong vibrating across my 89YJ when I go over those little holes on the highway at 65MPH or those hum where CalTran had fixed the holes. I mean real strong that sometime I couldn't even control the steering wheel. I kinda check underneat my jeep couple time and find out my front right leaf spring has 1 leaf broken off (probably before I even buy it) So I when replaced the whole thing with an 4" Pro Comp sus. lift, and hope that problem will go away. But I still get the vibration though it's not as strong as before. I'm wondering what else I should check or fixed to get the problem off my jeep? I would appreciate any susgestions

On going projects.
halfline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Yeah, it is a scary feeling driving down the freeway, hitting a pot hole and feeling like you are going out of control - and I can only image what it would be like in a Jeep!

Did you replace your steering stabilizer too? I have had problem similar to that on my truck and it ended up being the steering stabilizer was shot. You might want to check it out; HTH.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
halfline

yeah

yeah, I did replace the stabilizer as well. Thanks

On going projects.
Unread 07-29-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Hmmm, well I tried

How about the obvious - are the tires well balanced? Although it should vibrate all the time, not just after bumps.

Maybe worn/bad ball joints? Sorry, I don't think I can offer much more help. You may want to consider posting a link to this thread in the Lifts/Shocks/Tires forum.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 02:22 PM   #5
halfline

thanks

You know, I'm gonna bring it to the shop for a balacing and alignmenting job just to see if that was a problem. I kinda doubt it cauze those tires are brand new.

On going projects.
Unread 07-29-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My front driveshaft started to spin one time, and when I did anything over 55mph, my Jeep would vibrate like one of them cheap hotel beds ..

You might want to have your drive-shafts checked out .. and it doesn't hurt to verify that your axles are straight as well.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 11:33 PM   #7
BuMpYJ

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid
My front driveshaft started to spin one time, and when I did anything over 55mph, my Jeep would vibrate like one of them cheap hotel beds ..
we dont wanna know how you can get cheap hotel beds to vibrate

[URL=www.misfitoffroad.com]Misfit Offroad[/URL]
BuMpYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:37 AM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quarters man.. lots and lots of quarters
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 08:28 AM   #9
halfline

appreciation

Thank you for all suggestions. I haven't got the time to do it this week but I will do it on the weekend.

by the way, i kinda like the old cheap rocking bed (just don't break when i'm on) but not on my Jeep.

On going projects.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.