weird tire wear problems... any advice??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weird tire wear problems... any advice???

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

weird tire wear problems... any advice???

i bought 5 mastercraft MT's off craigslistwith rims for $250, had them balanced. one tire had the sidewall swelled out so i put on the spare, (brand spankin' new), now where should i put the tire with the most tread to wear down the best?

i have it on the rear drivers side, but now the rear passengers side is wearing down more than the front tires.

trying to make them last as long as i can, i'me a poor high school kid that is trying to build something nice, any advice is great, here is a picture, just to show it off

justins-jeep-006.jpg  
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

All you can really do is rotate the tires every 5k, it is your choice if you go front to back or X pattern.
Keep your eyes on craigs to pick up a good spare, as long as you keep the same type ie all terrain you can mix and match. I am not a fan of this but you can do it safely.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
88blkyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just do a bad burnout 1 wheel peel with it till she wears in
88blkyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i might give that a try, if my piece of SH%T 2.5 liter won't do a burnout, i guess i'll just mix and match, i have 2 BFG mud terrains sittin around from my last group of tires, they allmost have the same lug pattern too.
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Brumble83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The front tires will wear out the fastest. If it was my jeep I would buy another matching tire and mount both good tires on the front and then use the other tire as your new spare. Sometimes you have to spend money to save money. Just my Opinion
Brumble83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

trust me... i would just buy another new one, but i have $13 bucks to my name at the moment, and thats going to taco bell, and a can of spray paint so thats not gonna happen. (remember, i'me on a high school budget) i guess i will mount my spare BFG mud terrain where the new tire is and use the new one as a spare???

or... just drive them till they crap out (still rotating them), then replace the one that craps out first with my spare, then when another craps out just replace it with my extra spare tire (both BFG mud terrains) they won't match but they will work for a while.

oh yeah... tried a burnout... it won't do it, even if it wanted to
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Brumble83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only way I could see wearing out the new tire to match the others would be to keep it in the front at all times and rotating it side to side. Then rotate the other 3 tires between the back and front. ??

Or.. you could use the new tire as the spare for a while until you save enough cash (etc... forget taco bell and get pb&j sandwich) to buy a new one. Then put them both on the front and the tires should last you for a while.

Owning a Jeep is not cheap...lol...
Brumble83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would take the worst tire as spare. it is there to get out of trouble not to look pretty.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
viper21700
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep man, hope you get the tire issue worked out... One problem I see though- ITS TOO CLEAN!
viper21700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper21700 View Post
Nice Jeep man, hope you get the tire issue worked out... One problem I see though- ITS TOO CLEAN!
true... it is to clean, thats why i took a picture, you can actually see what it looks like, i did have it all burried up in the back yard (38 acres... i live in KENTUCKY) and i pulled in the garage and left giant chunks of mud everywhere, so i washed it, but it'll be muddy again as soon as it rains (or snows)

anyways, i guess i'll save and buy a new tire, i never went to taco bell, i spent my last $13 on kryon and gas...after i noticed it was on empty, or atleast thats what it said... you can never really tell, stupid thing wobbles back and forth so much i don't even know what to think but i just got paid so i'll save some cash for a new tire... and a lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.