Weird Motor Mount - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
iisswift
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Weird Motor Mount

I'm in the midst of replacing my 2.5 motor (250,000 miles!!) with a fresher, rebuilt 2.5. While bolting up the new motor I took a closer look at the passenger side motor mount and made an interesting discovery. Under the mount is what looks like an engine riser. It is rusted and broken and cannot go back in. Now, the issue I've got is that the other side does not have the riser. The body and suspension is stock height so I'm not sure why there would be any risers put in by the PO and really have no idea why it would have been on only one side. Is this a normal thing for the 2.5 motor that I just haven't read about? I want to make sure that if I take the riser out I won't have an issue lining up the new motor later. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the normal 2.5 uses that piece. It's called a cradle. Personally i would buy a new one as those are notorious for breaking. Brown Dog off-road sells those and they're so strong you'll never have to worry about it again. It's like $40. Check them out.

And yes, it's normal and only on the passenger side. That's just how Jeep decided to do it.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Brown Dog is about a hundred for the set... http://browndogindustries.com/93-95-...r-yj-2-5l.aspx

Ask @Mr.B what happens when that lets loose and breaks on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPritchard95 View Post
Yes, the normal 2.5 uses that piece. It's called a cradle. Personally i would buy a new one as those are notorious for breaking. Brown Dog off-road sells those and they're so strong you'll never have to worry about it again. It's like $40. Check them out.

And yes, it's normal and only on the passenger side. That's just how Jeep decided to do it.
Yes they do break often. I've replaced mine twice. And yes you need it. The last time I went to Brown Dog. Now I don't worry about it anymore. If you ever manage to break it, he will replace it for free.

This is the part you need:

http://browndogindustries.com/CR2569...e-Bracket.aspx

This is what the stock one is supposed to look like new:

But they just don't last. $40 and guaranteed for life is a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Brown Dog is about a hundred for the set... http://browndogindustries.com/93-95-...r-yj-2-5l.aspx

Ask @Mr.B what happens when that lets loose and breaks on the trail.

This is what I broke last year, and it was bad:

This is what I replaced it with:

http://browndogindustries.com/B2569R...ket-Right.aspx

Here's what the engine bay looked like after it was McGyver'd.

I actually drove it home that way.
owtcast and NHfireLJ like this.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #5 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the Brown Dog bracket and mount kits are very good as well. I have a 4.0 so my stuff isn't quite the same but I did the mount and bracket kit and it's fantastic. I believe if you do that, it comes with the cradle piece we're talking about. That's the route I'd go, save some bucks and get stuff that is true quality.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brown Dog motor mounts and cradle for a 2.5L in the wild if you wanted to see. I painted my motor mounts red, but don't tell Tim that...he seems to like the yellow.

~DM
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150912_145009.jpg   IMG_20150917_170240.jpg   IMG_20150917_172640.jpg  

92 YJ, Delilah

post #7 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
iisswift
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm really surprised that there are so few aftermarket manufacturers making such a common piece that goes badly this often. I guess Brown Dog has got a corner on the market.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe there are some others out there making them. But its hard to beat the price and guarantee. And no one mentioned the 4 day delivery.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #9 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Yes they do break often. I've replaced mine twice. And yes you need it. The last time I went to Brown Dog. Now I don't worry about it anymore. If you ever manage to break it, he will replace it for free.
Why do you need a cradle? My 1988 2.5L does not have one, I did the motor mounts 2 years ago and the mounts that came off of the Jeep did not have it, and the mounts I put on the Jeep did not have it. I haven't noticed anything abnormal with the Jeep.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #10 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 PM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Why do you need a cradle? My 1988 2.5L does not have one, I did the motor mounts 2 years ago and the mounts that came off of the Jeep did not have it, and the mounts I put on the Jeep did not have it. I haven't noticed anything abnormal with the Jeep.

1991-1995 2.5 passenger side only.
post #11 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPritchard95 View Post
1991-1995 2.5 passenger side only.
Oh, you guys had me worried. Do you know what changed in 91 that required it?

post #12 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 PM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Should just be a different way it sits on the frame. They did it whenever they switched the 2.5 from TBI to MPFI.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So did they change the frame, the engine block, the metal bracket that bolts to the engine, or did they just redesign the passenger motor mount? I'm just trying to figure out why they added a piece that seems to be poorly designed, or was there something inferior about the 87-90 design?

post #14 of 27 Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The frame would have been the part to be changed, because there's a spot where that square portion of the cradle sits. I have no clue why they did it, it only seems to be an unsuccessful change. I haven't heard of 87-90's having issues in their stock setups.
baritone_mike likes this.
post #15 of 27 Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

This is the part you need:

http://browndogindustries.com/CR2569...e-Bracket.aspx

This is what the stock one is supposed to look like new:

But they just don't last. $40 and guaranteed for life is a good deal.

This is what I broke last year, and it was bad:

This is what I replaced it with:

http://browndogindustries.com/B2569R...ket-Right.aspx

Here's what the engine bay looked like after it was McGyver'd.

I actually drove it home that way.
That's some impressive McGyvering. We had a motor mount break while in moab 1500 miles away from home. Couple of ratchet straps and we made it home no problem.

Now would also be a time to consider a motor mount lift. If you're lifted more than 2.5 inches or plan on doing that, the motor mount lift helps reduce the driveshaft angle reducing vibrations and possibly the need for a t-case drop. I have the 6 cyl which may be longer so correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if the the 4 cyl is considerably shorter getting rid of the need for a MML

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.