WEIRD electrical issue!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WEIRD electrical issue!!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is something to try. When it will not start turn the key on. Make sure it's in neutral!!! Jump the starter at solenoid (the starter's heavy( battery ) wire and the small wire) see if it will turn over. If it does the problem is between the switch and the starter. Now if does not start then I would look at replacing the starter.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went to O'Reilly today, got a new starter (more powerful and lifetime warranty for $70), took 20 minutes to put it in and voila! starts every time (so far).

New starter came with a new solenoid as well so I guess we'll never know which one was the culprit... or care really >.>

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 with Dodger. If the starter isnt turning over make sure your not in gear and try and jump the stater solinoid. It narrows it down. I guess the other question is when it doesnt start listen to hear if your fuel pump is coming on when you try and start and if you see the Check engine light. I know its not the clasic symptoms of the bad caps or crank but it does tell you where your ignition feed is going.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE

Replaced the starter last night. Started 3 times, went to bed. This morning, same issue - no start. So I connected both terminals on the solenoid and BAM - starts right up.

What is left that could cause intermittent issues like this? I know it's not the starter or solenoid, not the power connection between the battery and starter... very likely not a bad ground (not likely to be intermittent)... so what should I check next?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your ignition switch. Sound like where all your problem is.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check you starter relay on the firewall underneath the battery tray and see if your ignition feed is getting there. If you have the ignition feed at the relay then its either a fuseable link or a bad relay. If its good then the ignition switch is bad.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Check you starter relay on the firewall underneath the battery tray and see if your ignition feed is getting there. If you have the ignition feed at the relay then its either a fusible link or a bad relay. If its good then the ignition switch is bad.
Good advice except the O.P. has a '92, therefor he has no fusible links and the starter relay is located in the PDC in front of the battery. Could be a bad cable from battery to the starter (internally corroded), a bad ignition switch as previously suggested, or the starter relay and or it's contacts that the relay terminals plug into could be corroded.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Good advice except the O.P. has a '92, therefor he has no fusible links and the starter relay is located in the PDC in front of the battery. Could be a bad cable from battery to the starter (internally corroded), a bad ignition switch as previously suggested, or the starter relay and or it's contacts that the relay terminals plug into could be corroded.
It was the ignition switch. Swapped it out today and haven't had an issue yet, so w00t!

I bought new battery cables too, but haven't installed them yet since no one likes confounding variables. I'll give it a couple of days to make sure the intermittent issue no longer happens, then I'll install the cables.

I'm using my old starter now too. I know I know, at 170k it isn't a bad thing to have a new starter anyway. BUT my old starter works like its brand new and this saved me about $100. That's a lot of money to spend on a replacement part that doesn't need to be replaced!

Unread 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprowley View Post
It was the ignition switch. Swapped it out today and haven't had an issue yet, so w00t!

I bought new battery cables too, but haven't installed them yet since no one likes confounding variables. I'll give it a couple of days to make sure the intermittent issue no longer happens, then I'll install the cables.

I'm using my old starter now too. I know I know, at 170k it isn't a bad thing to have a new starter anyway. BUT my old starter works like its brand new and this saved me about $100. That's a lot of money to spend on a replacement part that doesn't need to be replaced!
Congrats! Hope this fix has legs
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric , electrical , starter , volt , voltmeter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.