Weird! Complete loss of power while driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird! Complete loss of power while driving

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #16
trotter

from trotter: one more clue

i forgot to mention this when i started the thread. maybe it will jog somebody's memory for better problem analysis. after the engine dies and you move to the side of the road - the ignition key is still in the 'on' position. If you try to turn the key from that position and start the engine you get nothing. No engine turn over, no cranking. BUT - if you turn the key back to the 'insert' position and turn the key forward to crank the engine ( as you normally would ) the engine cranks back up fine. That's one reason I initially suspected an ignition system problem. Any more thoughts? Again thanks for all of the feedback - this is a big help.

trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #17
PhoenixEML

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter
i forgot to mention this when i started the thread. maybe it will jog somebody's memory for better problem analysis. after the engine dies and you move to the side of the road - the ignition key is still in the 'on' position. If you try to turn the key from that position and start the engine you get nothing. No engine turn over, no cranking. BUT - if you turn the key back to the 'insert' position and turn the key forward to crank the engine ( as you normally would ) the engine cranks back up fine. That's one reason I initially suspected an ignition system problem. Any more thoughts? Again thanks for all of the feedback - this is a big help.
I can sympathize. I have the same damn problem with my 88 I6. I initially thought it was an idling problem because it would happen when I was stopped at a light. Now, it happens all the time, even when I'm giving it the gas. Today it happenned three ******* times. First, when I was going around a corner at a light. It dies every day there, so I was expecting that. The first time that happenned my arms ached for hours after trying to get it to the side of the road. It also happenned at an intersection today (so much fun!) and then on the way home. I find that if I put the car in park, turn the key back and then try again, I can usually get it started.

My mechanic was convinced it was the carb (and it's been replaced twice in the last month) and the last time when a hole in my float was found, we thought the problem was set. All this power loss is leading me back to an ignition problem. So, it's going to a new mechanic tomorrow morning. Sorry I can't be more help, but I definitely feel your pain.
PhoenixEML is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:46 AM   #18
BamaJeeper

If you wiggle the key when it's running does it shut off?
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
embrabander
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey did you end up figuring it out, i got an 89 that started doing the same thing, its got the 4.2l motor in it and just started acting up the other day
embrabander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Jvandy1252
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Same type problem

Jumping on the boat. Same type of problem with 94 yj 4cyl. Bought for my son to drive to school. Initial problem was blowing fuel fuse. Replaced with a circuit breaker and ran fine until we discovered a short in the ground to the battery. Fixed that problem. Starts and runs anywhere from 10-30 miles, then just dies. If we let it cool down, starts and runs again 5-30 miles. New to the Jeep thing, but frustrated. Where should I start? Is it possible for a fuel pump to "overheat" ? Seems it could be heat related. I've heard about the ECU, but havent researched it much. Initial problem was blowing fuel fuse, thought about rewire fuel pump, and then replacing fuel pump. Not sure thats where I should be starting. From reading here, maybe (in order): ICM, Crank position sensor, coil???? Help Please!!
Jvandy1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #21
BigRed7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This seems to be a more and more common problem. I've seen several threads about this very issue, including my own. I've put in a new ignition control module, coil, fuel pump...also a new carb and exhaust system besides the problem. I even did the Nutter Bypass...still has the problem. I've just replaced the Solenoid, called the ignition relay on some schematics and parts break downs. I think who ever figures it out should get an award! I have not been able to duplicate the problem unless it's being driven, gets scary when it happens while driving and is not safe though. I've also been looking towards the fusible links that come off the Solenoid.
BigRed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #22
Jvandy1252
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Possible "Cure" - Worked for me!

So far so good . From another thread on this forum, they suggested I replace the Crank Position Sensor. I replaced the o2 sensor and crank position sensor at the same time. ( About a 20 minute fix). My son has driven at least 4 hour and a half trips back and forth so far and no problems!! Believe the Crank position sensor was about $60 o2 sensor about $35-40.
Jvandy1252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.