Weird clutch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird clutch problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
JGBrown
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Weird clutch problem

I've got issues with my clutch(surprise!)
It only started in the last 30km or so, it disengages within the first 2" of pressing down, and only engages at the same spot when taking my foot off, it still feels fairly stiff compared to what my dad's clutch felt like when the system failed and leaked. But I no longer get leg cramps holding it down at a stop. It was originally quite high up to engage when I got it, however it grabbed much more when being engaged.
I'm driving an 88 YJ with just over 200km on it(so about 140k miles)

Is there an easy way to tell what clutch I have and whether it is external or internal, I'm no longer sure if it is stock as the motor has XJ stamped below where the firing order is stamped.

What parts and tools do I need to do a complete clutch replacement, and is it cost effective compared to taking it to a shop: will I save more then a couple hundred after tools and parts?
I have no specialty tools so I think I at least need a transmission jack, maybe some jackstands and don't know what else.

What else should I have done or do at the same time since I'll have the transmission out.
if I do need to change it, is there any adjustment to adjust where the pressure plate engages externally? because the bottom 3/4 of the pedal stroke are not used, but the pedal stops only 2" up from where it engages.

Thanks

EDIT: forgot to add, its looking more and more like the PO didn't bother with preventative maintenence, the clutch fluid is black, I have heard lots of conflicting suggestions about how to drain, as well as whether to use DOT 3-4 or DOT 5 fluid.
He also ripped out the exhaust manifold heat shield, could this be heating and damaging the clutch lines?

Last edited by JGBrown; 04-12-2007 at 10:26 PM..
JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.