Weird Clicking Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird Clicking Noise

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 09-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
swbfvd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Weird Clicking Noise

Ok, well when I start my Jeep cold there is a very low clicking noise that clicks like every 7 seconds. Then it go away until I come to a stop in neutral, where it clicks while I roll to a stop. Also when I am in 3rd(20-30mph) gear and let my foot off the pedal there is a quiet clanking sound until I press down on the pedal again. Also I am not that mechanically inclined. If anyone can help me thank you.

swbfvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clicks and clanks..that's an everyday event for me.
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
swbfvd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Aw man, its kind of annoying, do you have any idea what it could be, I was thinking it could the U-joints but i have not found a good description of how to check for that. Mainly because I'm not that good a mechanical stuff I don't want to ruin or mess anything up
swbfvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

its a YJ man, they make plenty of noises. mine makes a weird rubbing/clanking noise when i shift, but im sure thats due to the fact that i jerry rigged my own tranny mount bolt with washers and bushings.

your description is not to clear either. a clicking? a clanking? this could be a number of things. if you could give us a better description then possibly we can help you out. but as of right now your description is far too vague to point out what clicking and clanking sounds you have, cuz we all have plenty of those noises on a regular 24/7 basis

edit: it is 100% not your u-joints. your u-joints would make the noise as you are moving, never if you were stopped.
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try to narrow it down a little more. Like said, prob not your U joints based on your description. It could be just a little lifter noise which mine has had for the last 30k miles, and it runs like a top. Open the hood and try to see if its coming from eng, etc... Have someone ride with you and try to isolate where its coming from. Just need a little more info to help ya out.
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^^this. or a clutch problem. Hopefully this^^^

The Ujoints. You said it clicks in 3rd and when rolling slow "to a stop"
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your U joints.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.