Weber vs Motorcraft...the hunt continues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber vs Motorcraft...the hunt continues

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
pkearney06

Weber vs Motorcraft...the hunt continues

So...simple question:

1989 Jeep Wrangler yj (standard 4.2l i6 no mods)...motorcraft 2100/2150 or a weber carb?

Go!

pkearney06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
bernm8r
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Seems this has been done 100's of times. the guys with the MC2100 Love em, and the folks with the Weber Love theirs...

I chose the MC2100 due to reading about tuning issues with the weber. I bought mine from the ebay guy and have been very very pleased. it has been over 2 years with it and not a single issue with the carb, I cleaned it recently and the choke is smoother.

I would suggest the MC2100 since it is abundant, available in junk yards, easy to service and available every where.

If your a good mechanic you can get yourself setup for under a $100 bucks.

First timers I suggest the ebay guy his kit is all inclusive and directions are exact step by step, you wont be disappointed with the result!

Good luck,
Bern
bernm8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
stickfight
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ebay guy 2100 here too. Bolted on, ripped out lots of vac lines no longer used, the thing just works.

I never fooled with carbs much before the install, apart from raising the idle on my Carter to keep it from stalling as red lights. Ebay guy's instructions got me through just fine. We in Indiana don't have emission test worries, which makes it even easier.
stickfight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

One word - Holley

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfight View Post
Ebay guy 2100 here too. Bolted on, ripped out lots of vac lines no longer used, the thing just works.

I never fooled with carbs much before the install, apart from raising the idle on my Carter to keep it from stalling as red lights. Ebay guy's instructions got me through just fine. We in Indiana don't have emission test worries, which makes it even easier.
glad you are happy but, there are several posts and several guys on the forum who would have helped you get your carter running perfect. Of course after making the swap and feeling confident about what you have is all that matters.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
One word - Holley
I have always been a huge holley fan....but there just wasn't enough info out there for the swap, yet I wanted a fresh install and went with weber, but I would never knock a holley, just surprised you didn't offer more info.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

go with the 2150 thats the updated 2100 just make sure you get one with 1.08 venturie igot mine remanufactured by holley thru summit racing and they have the adapter plate too, simple to install and simple to tune made my jeep run like a new one
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think no matter which way you go motorcraft/weber you'll be very pleased with the outcome. so many people here have one or the other and will be biased towards what they have. I just did the mc swap 2 weeks and couldn't be happier, i'm sure if i swapped a weber on there i would be just as happy with the results. It all boils down to what's available to you.
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LarXedo4 View Post
I think no matter which way you go motorcraft/weber you'll be very pleased with the outcome. so many people here have one or the other and will be biased towards what they have. I just did the mc swap 2 weeks and couldn't be happier, i'm sure if i swapped a weber on there i would be just as happy with the results. It all boils down to what's available to you.
Good point and according to some great guys, you can easily rebuild the carter. Hate to admit this, but I am pretty sure weber is a part of the company that made the carter.
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
stickfight
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
there are several posts and several guys on the forum who would have helped you get your carter running perfect
Probably so if I had the time and patience, but most of the advice I've seen is that the quick route is to replace it with something else. The Jeep has 177k on it, with a long block and a rebuilt Carter 50k ago. So probably nothing really wrong with the carb itself, but with the vac system somewhere.

I have a lot of work still ahead on many others areas. PO cared for it well but age is catching up. I have to get the actual mechanical/reliability problems knocked out first before moving on to the fun stuff. Cracked header, rotting cat, weak spark, etc. Now it has 99 problems but a carburetor ain't one.
stickfight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
pkearney06

I would have loved to swap a holley or edelbrock but I'm not an AMAZING mechanic and there are NO good writeups (actually there are none at all that I've found) for a carb swap on either holley or edelbrock...would be nice...(hint hint)
pkearney06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.