Weber vacuum advance question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber vacuum advance question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Weber vacuum advance question

I'm trying to straighten out a majorly molested 88YJ. My current issue started when I was trying to get it timed properly. I'm not getting any vacuum advance on the distributor. I verified that the advance does move when vacuum is applied but it doesn't move when attached to the carb port.

It has a Weber 32/36 installed by the PO. My gauge reads 0 vacuum on the advance port on the carb (I figured out which port is the proper one by reading posts here). It stays at 0 at all rpms. Before I pull the carb off and check for blockage I wanted to ask what it should be reading.

Also I think I read somewhere on this forum that if the throttle plate is not adjusted properly and the "S" port is not covered by the throttle plates it can affect the vacuum ports (both the ported and the "EGR" port. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to find it with any of my searches.

packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, if set wrong, the ports will be uncovered if the idle set screw is too far out. The 32/36 is a great carb
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you

Thanks for your reply.

So the way I understand it, I need to pull the carb off and adjust the idle speed screw until it covers the S port, then install the carb, start the Jeep and set the idle speed using the mixture screw.

I ran across Fernando's "can't set best lean idle" thread this morning and it sounds like I don't need to adhere to the Redline setup guide settings as long as I keep that S port covered (don't touch the idle speed once I put the carb back on). I learned a lot from that thread - thanks Fernando!

Since I haven't pulled the carb yet to look, is it only the secondary that has the S port?
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember, its been a long time since I ran a 32/36 but I set mine with idle set screw only 1.5 turns or something from bottom, I think. Set it with a vacuum gauge and it should be perfect though

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.