Weber or motorcraft? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber or motorcraft?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I also hear something about a nutter. What exactly is that and do I need it?

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808
I also hear something about a nutter. What exactly is that and do I need it?
First off I want to take up for the Weber! A Weber is a very good carburetor! But to run rite they do require some tuning. Where a motorcraft is a more forgiving carb, but that is mostly due to the larger Venturi s. if you have the knoll age and tools a weber should and in my opinion will out perform a motorcraft. Now don't get me wrong i like motorcraft, I have owned a lot of Fords! But the Webers get sold short to many times because they are not understood! My weber runs perfect on my 4.7 stroker, gets 23+ mpg! But did require extensive tuning! Ok enough on webers. A nutter job is to bypass the factory computer, yes in my opinion your jeep will run much better with it done! There is plenty of info on how to do it, and several ways it can be done. Personally I would go with a MSD or Accel system
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

NOTE!
If you have a Carter with electric choke you can re-use it on the MC but you HAVE TO REVERSE THE SPRING.. It either goes clockwise on the Carter and CCW on the MC or the other way around but whichever, if you don't do it the best you will get is no choke, the worst is the choke closing as the engine heats up.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you go to the stickies at the top of the page, then to the YJ FAQ, then to the engine/ carb section, there are three good write ups on the nutter bypass. I found the one called picture guide to the nutter bypass particularly helpful.

When you replace the carter carb with either the weber or motorcraft, you take the computer out of the loop in controlling the carburetor.

When you do the nutter bypass, you take the computer out of the loop in controlling the didtributor/ignition.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.