Weber or motorcraft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber or motorcraft?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Weber or motorcraft?

I need to switch from my EMPI carb. Not sure what to get yet. I have a 88 yj an I hear to get either a weber or a motorcraft. Not sure which one or which model I want.

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get the motorcraft. You won't regret it. Simple, great design, easy to rebuild, just really solid. I have heard the webers take a little more effort to keep running well. But at the same time are also a good choice.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What model? I know there is a 2100 and a 2150 but I'm not sure which on to get.
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

replaced my empi carb with a holley, luv it. of the 2 you posted I'd go with motorcraft.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808 View Post
What model? I know there is a 2100 and a 2150 but I'm not sure which on to get.
Id vote for the 2150. It's a little more sophisticated it has an altitude compensating valve. So when you go to higher elevations it leans it out some.

They are basically identical other than that.

I had an old abused 2100 on mine. Rebuilt it a while ago. It started giving me problems recently. So I went to rebuild it again. (probably didn't have to) Anyways broke my venturi. So I bought a new 2150 from the ebay guy. It has been amazing. But it is also brand new.

Don't know your mechanical abilities. But if you are not really into tinkering and rebuilding a carb. Look into a new one from the ebay guy. ehrmannmp is his name. He gives you good easy to follow directions.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just pulled my Weber and replaced it with the 2150. Night and day. Get the Motorcraft from the ebay guy.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketboy View Post
Just pulled my Weber and replaced it with the 2150. Night and day. Get the Motorcraft from the ebay guy.
REALLY? Most people I have heard say they are all around similar. What was your Weber experience?

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, there are Webers and there are knock-off Webers. I got a knock-off evidently. If you go the Weber route buy it from Redline Weber, not Weber Carbs Direct. Redline sells the real ones.

That being said, I bought from Weber Carbs Direct and to be honest, it ran well. However, no matter how I changed out jets and ran the best lean idle procedure, it always was a bit rich.

I never passed emissions. Last year I found someone to pass it but this year it failed again.

I replaced it with the motorcraft last weekend. It passed with flying colors! And the power and response is so much better. And, while I've only used a half a tank of gas so far, my mileage seems better.

So maybe my problems all stemmed from not having a "real" Weber. But even if the real Weber is better, I can't see it being better than the 2150.

Price is comparable ( I think the MC is a bit more) and the MC is much easier to tune and work on.

Others can speak up, but my advice is to buy the Motorcraft.
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It seems like they're both good but I'm going to go with the motorcraft 2150. Anyone know if its a pain to install myself?
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The carb install is pretty simple. The Nutter bypass can be a little tricky. If your new to things. But it's well documented and isn't bad either.

I would do both if your getting a new carb. You will be amazed with the power increase.

Unread 08-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did a carb change a while back but never a motorcraft. I should be able to, I do most the stuff like lift and stuff like that.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you've done a carb R&R before, the motorcraft won't be anything different.

The most complicated part is removing all the crap you no longer need and retorting the vacuum lines. But the eBay guy on Colorado provides pretty good instructions. And we're here to help you if you need us👍
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Re routing that is.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay. I'm buying the 2150 off of the guy in Colorado on eBay. Is there anything else that I'll need? Like an air filter?
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased an air filter and electric choke from him with the carb. They're extra. If you have a carter with the electric choke, I believe you can swap it out. I just bought it with the electric choke because it was like $20 and I didn't feel like messing with it. His eBay listing will have all the details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.