Weber Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
encorick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Weber Issues

Hi all -

I started one of those 'sweater thread' type projects on the jeep... everything I touched unraveled, creating more of an issue. Prev post was here where I started troubleshooting some rough running issues at highway speeds: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...97/index2.html

Thinking this is more of a carb issue now - so starting a new thread.

1987 YJ w 4.2, auto tranny, weber carb, misc other PO mods.

In attempting to replace a single outlet clear fuel filter with a stock type filter w bypass, the engine won't run if bypass is open.

Also, when watching fuel flow from bypass when cranking the engine over, its constantly bubbling air out.

I purchased a rebuild kit for carb (expecting it in early this week) as I don't believe anything has been done on this vehicle in a very long time.

Where is air in bypass line coming from? Is carb so jacked up that its pulling air back into fuel stream? Will a rebuild address that?

encorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
encorick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

rebuilt the weber, vehicle still won't run with bypass connected.

Purchased a Mr Gasket fuel pressure regulator and installed downstream of filter.

With bypass open, there is no measurable fuel pressure. Pinching off bypass I am able to get consistent fuel pressure across idle to higher revving RPM's.

After vise grips are released on bypass, vehicle will stumble then die, as fuel pressure drops to nothing.

Planning on removing standard filter with a bypass, and going back to one without a bypass, and using the fuel pressure regulator to limit pressure to carb. Will this create any issues with either the fuel pump, lines, filter, etc? I'm not familiar with the internal plumbing of the mech pumps - will the backpressure by not having a bypass cause premature failure, potential leaks, fire, flood, famine??
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

which weber carb is it?

if its a 34/34, throw it away and get something else. i love weber carbs and had to take that junk off mine when i got. nothing but problems. its not a real weber carb.

you have the bypass line on the filter on top? will give trouble if its on the bottom and the carb feed is on top
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you just got a bad filter. It happens. They're pretty inexpensive so you might want to put another on and see if that helps.

I replaced my stock fuel filter when I replaced my carburetor and experienced cutting out at highway speeds. Kept checking all kinds of things on the carb and couldn't fix it. I ended up replacing the fuel filter again and it solved my problem.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also, the filter is supposed to be oriented so the small line is on the top. My understanding is that it won't work properly if it's not oriented that way.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
encorick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yep - filter oriented horizontally with smaller (bypass) line on top.

Carb is a 32/36 DGEV.

Behavior has been consistent across a couple of different filters. Tried one each from NAPA and Advanced.

From reading this afternoon it sounds as if theres a couple schools of thought with the mech pumps - with a bypass, a fuel pressure regulator shouldn't be needed, and if you use one, a bypass isn't needed, so I'm going to go with option 2, cap off bypass line at the transition to the hard line, revert back to the single output style filter and move on to my next project... leaky front axle seals and diff cover. Anxious as to what fun I'll find in there, as everything else on this vehicle has not been maintained!
Unread 05-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
shovelrunner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it helps I do not use a regulator on my 87 with a 4.2, same carb. I know a lot of people say don't trust the mechanical pump, but I must have gotten lucky cause my pressure is constant and since a really good tune up was done it rubs like a champ! Good luck.
shovelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.