Weber issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber issue

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Weber issue

Hi Gang,

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]A country that tries to spend itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handles.[/I][/COLOR]

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

87 YJ I6, nuttered and rushed, 2.5" lift, 31x10.5, custom made f&r bumpers, Mojave heater, TJ flares, Superwinch S9000, hm swingout tire carrier, tool drawer, custom electical control, and more in the works...........
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry folks my computer decided to post on its own. My question is this. I just put a weber 32/36 carb on my jeep and now it won't start. I have fuel at the carb but not in the carb. I can spray starter fluid in the carb and it will fire instantly but wont keep running. Any suggestions as to what to check on the carb? Thanks all.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]A country that tries to spend itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handles.[/I][/COLOR]

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

87 YJ I6, nuttered and rushed, 2.5" lift, 31x10.5, custom made f&r bumpers, Mojave heater, TJ flares, Superwinch S9000, hm swingout tire carrier, tool drawer, custom electical control, and more in the works...........
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Is this the first start attempt ... how did you determine that there is no gas in the bowl?
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is the first start attempt. Tried for about 30 min. I didn't check the bowl but the fuel line up to the inlet. There is fuel there so that eliminated the filter and pump. It will start easily with starter fluid so the spark is OK. I didn't what to start taking things apart without knowing what I was doing so I naturally came here to get advise.

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

Unread 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
SpikesHD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So when you manually pump the throttle at the carb, no gas shoots from the jets inside the carb?

If i were mine, I would sharply 'rap' the carb bowl with a plastic screwdriver handle while someone cranked the engine. That should unseat a stuck float. If the carb is new though, I would check the fuel pressure you are getting at the carb, should be enough to shove it's way through.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

You can grind away until the bowl fills or add fuel into the bowl through the bowl vent, that partitioned set of holes in the cover that are just ahead of the throats.

Seeing as how we haven't a clue how much fuel may have entered thus far, I suggest you add one ounce, thats about 3/4 oz shy of a full DGV bowl.
A clean squirt nozzle bottle is ideal to ring the hole or simply a real steady slow flow so to avoid spills into them.

That should allow it to fire up,... allow it to idle so that the bowl will either continue to fill and or allow time to burn off any added excess fuel in the bowl.

Although both of the longer slots will reach the same destination aim primarily thru that one that is farthest from the throats, it will flush through much quicker than the other.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Correct, no fuel coming out of the jets. The inside of the throat is bone dry. Thanks for the input, I will give the and squirt a try tomorrow and see what happens.

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

Unread 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Took a while to get back to this...work got in the way. I found the problem with the no-start. The "new" fuel pressure regulator was not letting any fuel through. Took it off and put the line straight to the carb and it cranked right up....and ran like $^*@. I replaced the manifold gasket at the same time as the carb as it had a crack in it. All seemed well, no warpage, etc. When I finally got it started, it is like the engine is over pressuring. I have oil blowing out around the oil pan, the dip stick, and the main seal. What the hell? Anyone have any suggestions? I am stumped as to why this suddenly started happening. The gasket is correct and all the outlets are open. The new carb doesn't have all the vac hookups as the carter. Could this have anything to do with this? HELP!

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

Unread 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

search for weber vacuum diagram. it will tell you how to hook everything up. actually, it might be under one of the nutter by pass links
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Look in here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...-mess-1250627/
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
rancho_26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Weber

I have a Weber just like yours. I don't know if you did this, but my dad told me that I have to literally pour some gas down the carb, as if I were out of gas. Fired up, ran like crap, but all it took was some adjusting, and now it's running fine.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Took a while to get back to this...work got in the way. I found the problem with the no-start. The "new" fuel pressure regulator was not letting any fuel through. Took it off and put the line straight to the carb and it cranked right up....and ran like $^*@. I replaced the manifold gasket at the same time as the carb as it had a crack in it. All seemed well, no warpage, etc. When I finally got it started, it is like the engine is over pressuring. I have oil blowing out around the oil pan, the dip stick, and the main seal. What the hell? Anyone have any suggestions? I am stumped as to why this suddenly started happening. The gasket is correct and all the outlets are open. The new carb doesn't have all the vac hookups as the carter. Could this have anything to do with this? HELP!
Dont run the engine anymore but was it running smooth or missing the last time you ran it? You can pull all the plugs and coil wire and run a compression test. The preferred test with symptoms this bad is a cylinder leak down test with a $30 kit from Harbor Freight. This doesn't require you to turn the engine over.
You are pressurizing the crankcase. Usually not a good symptom. You may have exhaust gases entering your crankcase . In any case treat it as a major problem and don't run the engine anymore until you find the source of the problem. Check oil for color change, pull plugs and look for fluids in cylinder and fouled plugs. Don't want to scare you but the symptoms you describe require special testing to make sure more damage isn't done. Really bad piston rings and blocked crankcase vents on valve covers can cause similar symptoms .
bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.