weber idles fine then lopes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weber idles fine then lopes

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

weber idles fine then lopes

So just like the title says, when I'm driving and I come to a stop light, wait to for an old lady to cross the street, etc. the Jeep idles very stable, the rpm gauge holds steady and the Jeep has a nice low shiver at about 500 rpms. It will idle great like this for probably about 15-20 seconds, then it starts to lope a bit. When it starts loping like this it doesn't ever die. Then I take off again, stop at the next stop light and the same (an idle that would make a mother proud and then 15 seconds later starts loping). It makes me think that it could be a float problem, because it idles fine and then the bowl somehow pushes more fuel through to the intake along with the idle jet fuel causing it to lope? I'm not sure. I have the fuel return line connected, and I think it's not clogged (i'm not sure how to test this).

Weber 32/36- (I have gone through the best lean idle adjustment many times)
Timing- either 8 or 10 BTDC, I can't remember off hand.
Vacuum advance is connected to manifold vacuum.

I read that the fuel return line is enough fuel pressure relief to the weber without having to get a pressure regulator, but I'd like to know what others think. Thanks!

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump please
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
jhay80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is it a automatic? If so does it do it in gear with the brake on or in park or both? If auto in gear, check the tranny fluid.
jhay80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but no it's a manual. It does it whether in gear with the clutch in or in neutral.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
jhay80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe check the wires on the electric choke. I wish I could be more help.
jhay80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks jhay80, I checked the choke and everything seems to be functioning properly.

I'm about 92.5% sure that this bouncing of the rpm needle at idle is due to fuel somehow getting past the float and into the intake. I've heard that if the pressure on the fuel pump is too high that it can force fuel past the float needle and continue to fill the bowl until overfill occurs. I have the fuel filter hooked up to the return line in the 12 o'clock position. I do not however have a viton needle and seat, I have the needle and seat and plastic float that came with the weber. Have others had to change to the viton needle to remedy anything like this in the past? I think it's overfill because when I'm backing out of my driveway there is a small downhill grade in the pavement where the street and driveway meet, and every time I'm pulling out (traveling backwards in neutral) the jeep dies when it gets tilted back.

Anyone have to switch to viton?
Anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong with the carb or out of adjustment to allow excess fuel to make it past the drip into the manifold?

And just for some additional info- yes I have checked that the idle speed screw is not allowing any profession hole to be exposed.

Thanks

Tags
idle , idles rough , weber

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.