Weber Carb; was fuel smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber Carb; was fuel smell

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Weber Carb; was fuel smell

I think I have found my issue with the fuel smell in my garage. My Weber carb appears to be seeping through the upper gasket. I cleaned it all off the other evening and tightened up the screws on it. I noticed today that I can wipe my finger across the gasket seam and I have a small amount of fuel on it.

I also let it run and blasted the heck out of it with carb cleaner to see if there are any leaks. Nothing showed on the carb itself but the two spacer plates between the manifold and carb have a pretty good size leak.

My question is:

1. Do I get a kit and rebuild it? I called my local garage guy and he said "several hundred for a rebuild" due to time and . . . . . .. . .. I have never done a Weber before so I don't know what to expect. I can't find any numbers on it to even figure out what model and what kit to order.

2. Do I bite the bullet and put in a different carb? If so what brand will fit in place of the Weber without too much pain and suffering on my part? I have seen a few people mention two bbl Holleys?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

See ya,

Pat

* Note - I still haven't gotten the vac lines figured out nor the ignition bypass done /sigh. I can't find the computer and I have to diagrams for the vac bypass one is for a 4 port valve and one is for a two port valve. I appear to have a 3 port (egr) valve?

qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what you are talking about 4 port, 3 port? egr only has one vac port. the carbon can on the other hand....

Computer is behind glove box. pull radio to access two nuts for grab bar and other two are by right speaker.

For several hundred you can a. get a 2100mc b. leave it and fix other issues or c. junk yard TBI I would start with fixing other issues and your carb might be fine. As far as the gasket have you tried to tighten the screws?
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My bad; it's labeled as a CTO valve on the vac diagram. Diagrams show a four or two port vac valve; mine appears to have three. it is next to the valve cover behind the carb. Two lines are connected and one is plugged. I am not sure if it is even the CTO or not. I really wish the PO wouldn't have screwed with the vac system; it would have been a lot easier to figure out if it was still stock.

I need to find a Jeep close by that has all the vac stuff off and copy the way it is piped. I have some picts from Laffman but it is hard to use them under the hood.

I did tighten all of the screws and there is still fuel residue on the surface after wiping it off.
qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.