Weber 38 c.o. too high at cruise. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber 38 c.o. too high at cruise.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 38 c.o. too high at cruise.

Can't seem to get my 89 to pass emissions.

Test 1 new weber, basic lean idle tune. HC Just under the limit and co is 5.8%. At cruise it needs to be less than 3%.
I take it to the carb shop and the 20+ veteran says he tweaked the idle even leaner and with the vacuum advance off it passes with his gear. Claims YJ's commonly over advance the timing.

Test 2 fail c.o. again at cruise. HC dropped WAY down but C.O. is still 4.8%
back to the shop. This time he changes out the jets from 145 to 135 to lean it out at cruise.

Test 3 fail. co at cruise went up to 5.08 which doesn't make sense.

From all research I've done this should have dropped the co. I couldn't make it back to the shop and the carb guy is going on vacation. Short of dropping a smaller set of jets I'm not sure what else to do. The carb has a FPR set to 3# and passes every thing else.

Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

try a fuel regulater. webbers like to run at 2.5 on road 1.5 off road.

Your Jeep may be putter out as much a 7
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had to modify my power valve, seems weber wanted it to come in at like anything below 12 inches of vacuum, mine cruised on about 10 inches, so therefore my pv was open all the time! I fixed mine by trimming off the spring one coil at the time till I got it coming in at about 4 inches of vacuum! Tape a vacuum gauge to your windshield and go for a cruise, see where u are cruising at then start adjusting! Ideal would be to have it come in at 2 inches below what u cruise at! But I like mine a little lower
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

[quote=Gausswave;15774110]Can't seem to get my 89 to pass emissions.

back to the shop. This time he changes out the jets from 145 to 135 to lean it out at cruise.

Test 3 fail. co at cruise went up to 5.08 which doesn't make sense.

QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
I had to modify my power valve, seems weber wanted it to come in at like anything below 12 inches of vacuum, mine cruised on about 10 inches, so therefore my pv was open all the time! I fixed mine by trimming off the spring one coil at the time till I got it coming in at about 4 inches of vacuum! Tape a vacuum gauge to your windshield and go for a cruise, see where u are cruising at then start adjusting! Ideal would be to have it come in at 2 inches below what u cruise at! But I like mine a little lower
The leaner jets made the PV open sooner/more. Do what B50 says plus check the FP pressure.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.