Weber 34/34...do I need the Nutter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber 34/34...do I need the Nutter?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
thegrizz51
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 34/34...do I need the Nutter?

I have been all over the forums and have found some related articles, but nothing that specifically addresses my question.

I recently installed the Weber 34/34 DGEC into my '89 YJ. Immediately after the install, the Jeep ran fairly well, but it was obviously running rich, as evidenced by the black soot coming out my exhaust pipe! (sounds like this is a fairly common issue)

Since then, I have attempted to tweak the fuel/air mixture, but in that process the engine has started to run like crap. Some of my problems are related to the engine running rich, but it seems to have gone way beyond that. I can't even start it right now. I'm hoping it's something simple like spark plug fouling due to the rich mixture.

My big question is this: is it necessary to do the Nutter Bypass when installing a Weber carb? I understand that, in general, it improves performance, but could not having the bypass be what's causing my problems? Shouldn't my Jeep run OK with the Weber, even without the Nutter?

My Jeep:
Red 1989 YJ Laredo hardtop with 258 I6. Automatic Transmission. 31" tires with about a 3" lift (I didn't do it, so I'm not 100% sure). Weber 34/34 DGEC carburetor, installed about a month ago. No other mechanical mods.

In case that's not enough info, here is a more detailed description of my issues:

- The Jeep started up like it normally does...a little rough with the normal problems associated with the crappy mechanical fuel pump...I will be fixing that later.
- I let it get up to temperature so I could adjust the fuel/air mix under normal conditions. I tightened the screw (leaned it out) and would drive a few hundred yards, then make an adjustment.
- Got to the point where it seemed to smooth out, but then it stalled at a stop sign.
- Could not get the engine to start unless I floored the accelerator! When it did turn over, it ran like it was missing cylinders and would not stay running unless I kept it revved to about 2000+ RPM. Also, it had no power. When I put it in gear (it's an Auto Tranny), it would lurch forward and only manage about 10mph.
- Biggest problem was that I was seeing gray smoke coming from underneath, and it didn't seem like it was exhaust. The smoke even continued after the engine was shut off. A friend suggested that the engine somehow spit some oil onto the exhaust system, but I saw no real evidence of that.

thegrizz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Short answer - Yes. Do the bypass and reset your ignition timing.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same setup as you do. Yes, Nutter. The Nutter has nothing to do with the carb directly. I have been in your situation more times than I can count. My bet is your spark plugs are black if you pull them. Clean them, get new ones, whatever, I have done both. Then print off the Weber directions for getting the fuel/air mix right, I can dig them up but just look on redline website for the steps. Follow them exactly. Should be up and running in no time.

If you need help nutter or need advice, check my signature. good references on there.

Not related to your question, but i recently put on an HEI dist. and have not had a problem since. I'm only telling you this because I was you 11months ago with all the same problems.

WAR EAGLE!
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
thegrizz51
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitkev2 View Post
I have the same setup as you do. Yes, Nutter. The Nutter has nothing to do with the carb directly. I have been in your situation more times than I can count. My bet is your spark plugs are black if you pull them. Clean them, get new ones, whatever, I have done both. Then print off the Weber directions for getting the fuel/air mix right, I can dig them up but just look on redline website for the steps. Follow them exactly. Should be up and running in no time.

If you need help nutter or need advice, check my signature. good references on there.

Not related to your question, but i recently put on an HEI dist. and have not had a problem since. I'm only telling you this because I was you 11months ago with all the same problems.
I have the tuning instructions from Redline already. I wish I'd had them at the time I did the install, but at least I have them now!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has seen this. I will pull the plugs tonight and do the Nutter as soon as I can. The HEI sounds like a good plan too. Which HEI did you go with? I'd like to go with something proven.

I don't know much about ignition systems, so I have no idea who makes the best ones. I'm sure Q-tec carries something that will get the job done, but if someone has some insight, I'd be very receptive to some advice.

Last edited by thegrizz51; 12-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Added the tuning instructions part.
Unread 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There has been quite a bit on HEI. Read up before you decide, I decided to go with the 4wd.com version and I have had great luck so far. You will get a few different options if you ask, but I'm sure they all work. Mainly depends on how much your looking to spend.

Good luck!

WAR EAGLE!
Unread 12-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
thegrizz51
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitkev2 View Post
There has been quite a bit on HEI. Read up before you decide, I decided to go with the 4wd.com version and I have had great luck so far. You will get a few different options if you ask, but I'm sure they all work. Mainly depends on how much your looking to spend.

Good luck!
Are you talking about the HEI Billet Distributor? It's $99 on 4WD.com.

That seems a whole lot cheaper than the DUI distributors, but the description is almost identical. If I can avoid dropping another $300 just to make this thing run, I would like to do that.

By the way, my plugs were totally black. After cleaning the plugs, I did the Nutter and there was a noticeable improvement. I didn't have time to due the whole Redline tuning procedure, but I'm making progress. Thanks for the help!
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thats the one HEI BIllet DIst., works great.

glad to hear you got he nutter done. you'll really like what it does for the 4.2

WAR EAGLE!
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Doing a search for the Nutter pic post for another post, Not usually here on the YJ

Here is more information on the Weber 34 and other weber carbs, jet selection, pics, and several links on tune and read spark plugs. I think the weber 34 is too rich for the 4.2. Need rejetting and better ignition.

I bet you have to screw in the idle screw till it bottoms out to idle right. I had the black sooty plugs too rich.

Take a look
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-34-dgec-carb-too-rich-jets-tune-jeep-4-2-258-a-631105/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Douglas S.

Honestly, even with a 4.0 head and HEI I am still running super, super rich (I am fully adjusted). Look at this write-up, that is my plan to get this thing going right.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-34-dgec-carb-too-rich-jets-tune-jeep-4-2-258-a-631105/#post5993602

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.