Weber 32/36 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber 32/36 questions

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 32/36 questions

I have a Weber 32/36 that I purchased from WeberCarbsDirect.com. Here is a picture with a logo.

Does this mean I have a "fake" Weber? I remember reading on one of these threads where the carbs from Weber Redline were real Webers and the ones from Weber Carbs Direct were fake. And that the real ones have logos cast into the metal whereas the fake ones have a label.

Is this correct?

rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You need the cast weber sign. Does it work well? The really nice webers are made in spain
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The reason I bring this up is that it failed emissions today here in Texas. HC level was to high indicating it's running rich.

Whenever I run the lean best idle procedure I run into the situation below in bold:

"If the mixture screw is more than 2-1/2 turns out turns then the Idle jet is too lean (too Small). When the mixture screw is less than 1-1/2 then the Idle jet is too rich (too large). These assumptions are based on the fact that the speed screw setting is not opened more than 1-1/2 turns. If the speed screw has to be opened 2 or more turns then this is also an indication of a lean condition usually requiring greater change. At times it may appear to be showing signs of richness or flooding it is really a lean condition. "

So, the carburetor has always run well, but no matter which idle jets I put in I can never get it to run with the speed screw set at 2 turns or less. I think technically it's running lean but I'm having to compensate by having the plate opened up dumping more gas in. My theory is that this is why I have high hydrocarbons.

Bottom line, the reason I asked if my carburetor was not a "real" Weber is that I'm concerned this carb isn't right and I'm never going to get it zero'd in. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and replace it.
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

heres a thread on setting up the weber, maybe it will help.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/we...ssion-1051137/

atleast yours has the weber name on it. I had the weber clone put out by empi, a real piece of junk. got sick of constantly setting it and switched to a holley.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some other details about my situation:

Stock distributer, nittered;

Vacuum lines set up as follows:

Weber currently has a 75 primary idle jet and a 60 secondary idle jet;

Idle jets I have handy:

Primary - 70, 75, 80, 90
Secondary - 60, 65, 75, 80
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks superj and roady rob.

I think after having this carb for 2 years and rejetting it multiple times, I'm going to go with the motor craft. It runs good but I've never gotten it optimized per the instructions and now I'm flunking the smog check.

The bad thing is it's the last smog check it will ever need since in TX it will be exempt when it turns 25.
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Use a vacuum gauge to set it instead. Search for vacuum gauges and instructions will show up on how to do it
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also, can you inspect it in another county? We don't do emissions here in Nueces county.

I just left the inspection place with my new sticker. Luckily my jeep is an 87 so I can basically do as I wish.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure that since my registration sticker on the windshield says my county, the inspection station in another county wouldn't do it.

That'd be a pretty sweet loophole though!
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, what if you were down on vacation and noticed it was out. Seems weird

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.