Weber 32/36 floods on startup, what do I adjust? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weber 32/36 floods on startup, what do I adjust?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Nice video, very informative. It clearly shows us a limited travel and speed of #52, the 'Choke Diaphragm Assembly', as well as, and none the less why it is such a pleasure to try to answer your inquiries... we can all learn from them.

It indicates another issue, that part #41 'Auto-Choke Shaft and Lever Assembly' isn't reacting to your moving the rod. This "Assembly" should rotate by means of a 'arm' which extends from it and should be fitted into a flat milled side of the shaft/rod of the part #52 and is the begining of the link from the choke assembly to the choke plates and fast idle system.

Here are two images which I.D. the parts of concern as well as the location of the manifold vacuum signal aperture which control the Choke Pull-Off.

The ease with relocating that rod that you demonstrate seems a clear indication that there is a problem with the Pull-Off vacuum signal... maybe the "O" ring, maybe the diaphragm? Although neither are necessary with a manual choke system it would be a benefit to restore this function.

The exploded diagram indicates the 'Qualifier Adjuster Screw' part #57, I don't feel as though this screw is in need of attention in seeing that the rod would travel if ample signal reached or was held by the diaphragm.

The "O" ring is behind/between the lower arm that attached the Choke Assembly to the carb body... look in here, just as important if not more so (manual or auto) is why is the part #41 not reacting to your repositioning that rod, is the arm fitting into the side of that rod?

In reassembly make certain that the pin of part# 41 (highlited in red) penetrates the "eyelet" of the bi-metal spring, this should prohibit the choke plate from it's loose travel.

dgev-base-fernando.jpg   weber-dgav-fernando.jpg  
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Terry, this is great I understand this system very well now... Ok about the Auto-Choke Shaft and Lever Assembly, the lever works, it touches the shaft of the pull off vacuum system, I just left the plates open in the video so there is no contact between the shaft and the lever, but if I close the choke plates they do move as I push the shaft... I┤m pretty sure the problem is the vacuum signal, I may have blocked this path when I installed the carb with a homemade gasket, I'm not sure...

I understand the best thing to do would be to have the choke working properly and restore this vacuum system, however I would need to drop the carb to do that so I will leave it for next time I have to remove it, in the meantime I will install the manual choke which is something I've always wanted to have, upon reassembly I made sure the eyelet on the bimetal spring fitted properly with the choke plates lever so now they are set at the open position and the choke is disconnected.

One piece of good news, this morning when I started the Jeep I had to give it a little gas because there was no choke but it started right up and no more black smoke or misfires, which is what I was trying to get rid of in the first place, so I call this thread a success!!

Terry you are a wealth of knowledge, thank you very much working with you is always a pleasure, thanks for mentoring me on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.