weber 32/36 base plate and gasket question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weber 32/36 base plate and gasket question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

weber 32/36 base plate and gasket question

I have re-installed my weber 32/36 base plate and gaskets 3 times now! I spray the base with carb cleaner and I still have a leak!!!

The first two installs I cranked down the bolts using the weber gaskets that come with the kit.

This third time I made my own gaskets out of gasket cork that was a bit thicker than the weber kit gaskets & I pretty much just tightened everything until it felt firmly snug. The directions I read said to torque the first plate down to 12 ft/lbs and the second 6 ft/lbs. I do not have a torque wrench, so I have been just trying different strengths by hand to see what works, but the problem is, nothing has.

Two questions,
1. How much muscle should be put into tightening the base plate bolts? I know this is difficult to describe but an answer as simple as: Tighten until you can't tighten any more, or tighten until it's starting to get hard to tighten further would be sufficient for me.

2. The manifold vacuum port on the top base plate, is this fitting supposed to be flush? mine isn't quite flush and I'm scared that if I put anymore muscle into it, it will strip or something.

Thanks so much, and no I did not use gasket sealer, I've read not to more times then I've read I should.

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do no over tighten the bolts, aluminum will strip. the plates might be warped, take a sheet of sand paper and lay it on a flat table and sand the plates till they are smooth. I put a light coat of grease on the gasket to help seal.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^ sand your plates flat and i used a thin coat of permatex #2 on the gaskets.
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb , gasket , vacuum , weber

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.