webber carb vacum problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > webber carb vacum problems

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
jayhhaynes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

webber carb vacum problems

carb was set up like this when i bought this jeep about 7 months ago. when i go wheelin, or any time i run it at high rpms the motor makes a loud sucking noise through the carburetor. It begins when i first give it a little bit of gas then begins to suck. if i give it around 50% throttle or it will rev up high then suck and do this repeatedly til i let off. if i hold it at around 10% it will make a loud sucking noise and shut off. if i try to drive like this it will jerk the jeep back in forth as i go down the road. I usually can get it to stop if i hold throttle at around 1000rpms right befor it dies then give it gas and there will be a loud pop coming from the carb and i can drive as normal.
this is my first carburetor and I'm still learning bout them.
thanks for your help

jayhhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whoa. First thing you must do is replace the filter! It look like it is clogged with dirt...

I noticed there is a hose just hanging out barely on left side of the choke, I would check that out. You should replace all the gaskets. They tend to rot out and create spots for air to suck in. I discovered my weber has one of the gasket half missing.

Is your jeep nuttered? Those webers do excellent when jeep is nuttered.

Also, welcome to the forum, you will find several good people on here who is very knowledgeable about weber more than me so they will come out and help you.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

Here's a link to the thread I used to get my vacuum issues right. Keep in mind though that these are with a nutter bypass. I went ahead and replaced all my lines to eliminate leaks and used the diagram on post 23 to figure out what sizes I needed and where they ran. The diagram in post 26 shows the setup on a carb. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/we...96/index2.html

From the looks of it, you've got a 32/36 so here is a link to someone installing it from the beginning: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...nstall-382317/
PoppaDucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.