Weak brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weak brakes

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
zoltan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Weak brakes

Several months ago the brakes on my Jeep started getting weak where I needed to push harder on the pedal for the same effect. My mechanic quickly fixed it and said the rear brakes just needed to be adjusted. Now, it's started happening again, and I was hoping someone might have some idea why?

zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

adjust them again. They wear out

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Sounds like the booster or MC ORRRRR a soft line is clogging up and not letting fluid pass.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

check your brake fluid. is it clear or dark? if it's dark its absorbed too much moisture and MAY need flushed. Brake fluid isnt really compressable, but when it absorbs moisture, it can now compress some creating a spongy or weak brake.

Above suggestions are also good things to check.
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Ksyrium
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Your YJ has rear drums, correct? Is your emergency braking acting similar to the main brake pedal?

If so, then there is a good chance that it is in the rear brakes and not the front.
I would also pull the rear drums off and check that the adjuster lever is stopping them from moving as it should. Maybe the adjusting lever spring has broken?

This will take you to a picture for more in depth look & part info.
Jeep4x4 Center Knowledge base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.