WAY too stiff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WAY too stiff

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Brewsky88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

WAY too stiff

Ok so I did a search about leaf springs being too stiff. I have removed my swaybars and trac bars, loosened and retorqued the shackles, but I still have almost 0 articulation before I float a tire, I spin just going through a slight uphill mogul section (God I hate how they did the 4 banger Wranglers). My lockers are on the way but since I'm in Guam it was either buy them locally and pay $1300 for both or pay $700 and have to wait a month for them to get here, so I went the less expensive route. I am the 2nd owner and the previous guy used it only as a mall crawler (wasn't even a twig scratch on the skid plate, let alone a nick in the paint). It has a 3" (Pro-Comp I believe) spring lift plus (I think) 1 1/2-2" shackle lift on 31"s. Since he never took it off road the leafs are still very stiff. I know that enough time on the trail will loosen it up but I'd rather not have to get a pull every time I try to flex her a little.

Unread 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the springs aren't broken in, then they may be a little stiff. It may also just be the springs. It may be worth your while to buy some Superlift 3.5" springs. They flex amazingly, and ride well on the road. Shipping might be expensive but you can get the springs for about $60 each on 4 wheel parts.

You could try flexing it out on a ramp or something and break them in a little. I have heard procomps to ride hard though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't laugh, but hose the leaves down with some wd40 or other penetrating oil, spray inbetween the leaves. Then jump onto a ramp or something to flex them out. The oil will help them slide as they need to do. Forcing them to flex and have a little lubrication will help. Make sure your shocks or your brake lines aren't affecting the articulation. I dan i to fhe same issue with my jeep. I ended up dissassembling everything, a little lube on the spring eyes and bushings, bolts and inbetween the leaves and a couple rides up and down a loading ramp: instant improvement! I also upgraded to boomerangs at the same time and thinge were perfect!
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.