Watery/Dirty oil everytime i trail it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Watery/Dirty oil everytime i trail it

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Watery/Dirty oil everytime i trail it

Ive taken my jeep out to the trails (jeepskool) the past few months, and everytime ive came home, my 4.0l's oil was dirty. I pull the dipstick out and the last 3/16 is a darker shade and thicker. This problem has already cost me one engine. I had water in my oil + muddy radiator and overheating caused a rod knock and rod bearing failure. I rebuilt another engine and added a snorkel. I have about 1000 miles on it, and took it out for the first time this weekend. I did a good 5+ hours of trail time and water/mud was as deep as 30" at the most. What could be causing dirty oil? The only thing i can think of is pulling the distributor out and RTV'ing around the inlet to suppliment the paper gasket. I am considering taking 5 quarts of oil and a pan to change out before i even drive home next time, i would hate to damage my newly rebuilt engine and then have to do this all over again. Any other ideas? Thanks -Jon

OLD YJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
Yonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The oil dipstick tube could also a point of entry for muddy water, depending how how much splashing has occurred. Or, if the tube has a crack in it, water could be seeping in there.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.