Waterpump tutorial - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Waterpump tutorial

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
Karsten
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitloose06 View Post
You can by the pipe from RockAuto Auto Parts

It's called a "Water Pump Inlet Tube"
DORMAN Part # 56398
i bought it today from a Jeep parts department

they call it: Tube-Water 1B7F
Part No: 5300 7978
List Price 30 , i got it for 16

a bit pricy but convenient (if in stock)

Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an older posting but to answer previous persons question about how to tell before removal. According to the service manual it only states it on the impeller which is only visible when removed. I have seen it on here somewhere that says which years are reversed and which are forward spinning. Also you need to get the routing for the serpentine correct because apparently you can reverse the coolant flow because of this. I didn't know I could put the belt on reversed and don't want to try either. LOL
er2ergrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I added a 140 amp alternator recently to my 87' 4.2. It uses a narrow V-belt pulley and even with a new belt has a tendency to squeal. The alternator shop said that the best way to fix the problem is to change to a serpentine belt. My question is if I change to the serpentine belt I need to change the water pump to a reverse rotation. As I understand it the reverse flow will work ok. Any thoughts? Has anybody done this before?
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #19
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
I added a 140 amp alternator recently to my 87' 4.2. It uses a narrow V-belt pulley and even with a new belt has a tendency to squeal. The alternator shop said that the best way to fix the problem is to change to a serpentine belt. My question is if I change to the serpentine belt I need to change the water pump to a reverse rotation. As I understand it the reverse flow will work ok. Any thoughts? Has anybody done this before?
Are you saying that you need a wider groove v belt pulley? If so, I don't understand why the alt shop could not just give you a different pulley.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The pulley for the alternater on the crankshaft is also narrow. I have the parts available to do the changeover except for the waterpump. Is there a replacement V-belt pulley for the crankshaft that is wider?
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The pulley for the alternater on the crankshaft is also narrow. I have the parts available to do the changeover except for the waterpump. Is there a replacement V-belt pulley for the crankshaft that is wider?
I would guess the answer to be yes, given that that motor dates back to Rambler. Or perhaps you could modify something from a junkyard. I have a feeling someone like Max will reply with a part number.
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Max? Chime in here with your wisdom.
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49

Are you saying that you need a wider groove v belt pulley? If so, I don't understand why the alt shop could not just give you a different pulley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49

I would guess the answer to be yes, given that that motor dates back to Rambler. Or perhaps you could modify something from a junkyard. I have a feeling someone like Max will reply with a part number.
Okay, you can switch from a V-belt to a serpentine belt. You will need a 6 groove pulley for every accessory item that is driven by the belt, except the waterpump. You will need a smooth, wide, waterpump pulley specifically for a serpentine belt equipped 4.2L and a 6 groove serpentine style harmonic balancer for the crankshaft. You will also need 1 smooth idler pulley for a YJ without a/c, or 2 smooth idler pulleys for a YJ with a/c on it.

The smooth pulleys (idler pulleys & waterpump pulley) are smooth because their contact with the belt is on the non-grooved side of the belt. Picture a circle representing the belt with the grooves of the belt facing inside the circle. The pulleys are located inside this circle where they ride on the grooves. If the circle turns clockwise (like your engine rotates) the pulleys contacting the grooves will turn clockwise also. However, if a smooth pulley rides on the outside of the circle, it will rotate counter-clockwise. This is why you will need a reverse rotation waterpump.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Max? Chime in here with your wisdom.
DANG... no hesitation at all. Call and he appears! I'm starting to think he is a JEEP not a person...
imstillatwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Max, the other question is: Is it better to change to a serpentine belt system or is a wider pulley available to replace the crankshaft pulley and would the wider belt work well with the larger alternator and not squeal? (this would be an easier solution)
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #26
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have information on if a wider crankshaft pulley was available for the alternator belt. Mine has the really narrow pulley.
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #27
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone have information on if a wider crankshaft pulley was available for the alternator belt. Mine has the really narrow pulley.
I would be really surprised if there was not a wide-belt crankcase pulley available for these motors. Check the CJ forum, or perhaps American Motors/Rambler forums. It is likely that earlier incarnations of this engine came with wider pulleys. Also try the aftermarket companies.

You might also be able to install dual v-belts.
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #28
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
AW-100
1986 MJ Comanche 

Old thread, but new info:
http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=85
Here you can see the routing with V-belt and serpentine.
AW-100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for this incredibly useful information. It saves me a lot of time and head ache
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.