waterproofing electrical - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > waterproofing electrical

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

waterproofing electrical

I am sick and tired of everytime it rains water pours into my dash and my radio goes crazy. What have some of you done to protect your radio from rain? I very rarely put my top up in the summer and this has been an ongoing problem. I have been through several "marine" radios.

First I am going to follow the steps in the write-ups to track any leaks. Then I was thinking off removing my entire dash and line everything with heavy duty plastic. Basically making a bag to cover everything and leave the bottom open. What do you guys think about this?

I am getting ready to add a cb radio so this problem has been brought to the fore front.

Once again, thanks guys for your help.

Unread 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

tuffy center console with stereo compartment
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The Tuffy is a good solution. A quick and dirty solution is install a plastic sheet above the radio.

My leakage turned out to be that seam in the cowl just in front of the windshield. Sealing that up with waterproof silicone caulk resolved the leaking.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you heven't read this water under dash , you need too
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Richard, I will be performing these as soon as it warms up. An guys, I have seen those Tuffy boxes. I was hoping to hear some outside the box thinking.
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fix the leak
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I sealed RC car electronics with platidip spray on. I had to take the electronic parts down to the board level to seal them.

That would be outside the box.

I bet it would be easier to fix the leak. I like the plastic defeltor idea.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The potential problem with sealing electronics is that some components may overheat. There is a reason radios etc are vented.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cut a vent in the bottom of an old ammo can and mount your electronics in it, add a cooling fan if you need, then bolt that in place of your middle console, lockable and waterproof as long as the gasket is good, plus you can slip the lid off the hinge and lay it under the seat while your using it. You'll have to make some brackets to mount it at whatever angle you want it to sit. Maybe mount two small ones instead of one big one then you have one for electronics and one for storage. I've heard that the 50 cal and 20mm boxes are about the biggest that fit. Not out of the box thinking, just different box thinking.
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
I sealed RC car electronics with platidip spray on. I had to take the electronic parts down to the board level to seal them.

That would be outside the box.

I bet it would be easier to fix the leak. I like the plastic defeltor idea.
Usually water gets to the radio from 2 places. The first place is the face of the face of the radio itself. The only fix for this is a marine grade radio. The second place is from the center gauges. Water gets behind the dash from the space between the gauges face and the dash cover. Jeep uses a plastic shelf that is held in place by the gauges that redirects this water forward away from the radio. Which works for the most part. But people usually discard this piece when they take the center of the dash apart or the piece gets brittle and brakes.

I'll bet the OPs OEM water shield is not installed.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Why J? i will take a look at this when i start digging. Maybe post some pictures. Do you have any experience with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
Usually water gets to the radio from 2 places. The first place is the face of the face of the radio itself. The only fix for this is a marine grade radio. The second place is from the center gauges. Water gets behind the dash from the space between the gauges face and the dash cover. Jeep uses a plastic shelf that is held in place by the gauges that redirects this water forward away from the radio. Which works for the most part. But people usually discard this piece when they take the center of the dash apart or the piece gets brittle and brakes.

I'll bet the OPs OEM water shield is not installed.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Why J? i will take a look at this when i start digging. Maybe post some pictures. Do you have any experience with this?
I don't have pics. I'll loot on google and post back if I find some.

I have pulled my dash on several times and have pulled the dashes on other YJs several times in the last to replace radios and what not. It is fairly obvious the purpose of the shield when you see it in the dash.

My dash gets rained on all the time and my radio never gets wet.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go. Photo by Mean Max
image.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

spray all your wires with wd-40 it shed's the water.
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
Here ya go. Photo by Mean Max
Yeah I dont even have to pull my dash off again to know I dont have that! I am really trying to analyze that picture to see if I can fab something like it. Any help would be great. I am going to google it some more.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.