JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Water pump question. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/water-pump-question-1531593/)

87laredo 06-02-2013 10:08 PM

Water pump question.

Hello all,

I am in need of a new water pump and water pump pulley. My question is what is the difference between a (integral pipe) water pump and a (non-integral pipe) water pump? Which one is factory? And what places sell a water pump pulley because none of the auto parts stores around here ( north west Ohio) sell them??

Thanks
Jake

bigbossd1030 06-02-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87laredo
Hello all,

I am in need of a new water pump and water pump pulley. My question is what is the difference between a (integral pipe) water pump and a (non-integral pipe) water pump? Which one is factory? And what places sell a water pump pulley because none of the auto parts stores around here ( north west Ohio) sell them??

Thanks
Jake

I am pretty sure the integral pipe one is the one that has the fitting on it for the heater core. It should cost more for this one. And the non integral pipe is the one that doesn't have it. I personally would get the one with the pipe as it was hard for me to find a replacement one. Plus if you don't need it, keep it just in case. As for the pulley, are you sure you need a new one, I am pretty sure it is just a bolt on like mine was.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

superj 06-03-2013 05:41 AM

you have to get hte pulley online, they are hard to find.

the integral pipe and non-integral are the same pump, just one the pipe is pressed in place, if i remember right. i had to unscrew my pipe and screw it into the new water pump.

also, when you buy your new pump, fellow 87 owner (i learned this the hard way), take your old one and lay it on the bench next to the new one and measure to make sure the pulley mounting surface is the same height on both. there are 3 or 4 water pumps that the store will show fit yours and you will probably have to go to a few parts places to find the right one. the blades on the impeller need to be facing the right direction and the heights need to be the same so make sure they are identical or you will be back and back and back

Rproject 06-03-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superj (Post 15512813)
you have to get hte pulley online, they are hard to find.

the integral pipe and non-integral are the same pump, just one the pipe is pressed in place, if i remember right. i had to unscrew my pipe and screw it into the new water pump.

also, when you buy your new pump, fellow 87 owner (i learned this the hard way), take your old one and lay it on the bench next to the new one and measure to make sure the pulley mounting surface is the same height on both. there are 3 or 4 water pumps that the store will show fit yours and you will probably have to go to a few parts places to find the right one. the blades on the impeller need to be facing the right direction and the heights need to be the same so make sure they are identical or you will be back and back and back

THIS!

I too had to unscrew my pipe and thread it on to the new one. I put a touch of gasket sealer on the threads before I put it on, JIC. Also, YES, pay close attention to the impeller blades, size and bolt locations. Many places stock 87-95 water pumps thinking they're all the same. Most '87's are v-belt vehicles and the shops stock the serpentine belt unit. Completely different rotation between the two.

superj 06-03-2013 08:04 AM

i ended up using one from a 90 or something because i have the serpentine belt with factory ac so my set up is different then a normal 87 model. if you have a laredo with ac, you will probably end up getting one from another year too

87laredo 06-03-2013 09:08 AM

Thank you everybody, btw mine is a stock 4.2 v-belt with AC. If that helps any.

Jake

Rproject 06-03-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87laredo (Post 15513308)
Thank you everybody, btw mine is a stock 4.2 v-belt with AC. If that helps any.

Jake

Have you been peeking under my hood again? :laugh: That's exactly what I have. Laredo and all. I got my pump from Advanced Auto. They had it in their warehouse and had it to the store in under 3 hours. Direct bolt on (had to switch the pipe from mine to theirs). 2 hour job for a shade tree mechanic.

87laredo 06-03-2013 10:28 AM

Sweet thanks very much everybody!

Jake

superj 06-03-2013 11:11 AM

hmm, both of ya'lls are laredos and you have v-belts? wow, thats crazy

Rproject 06-03-2013 11:15 AM

Whatever you do, don't go to Autozone. I had them arrange a 1 car funeral in the past, didn't turn out well.

87laredo 06-05-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superj
hmm, both of ya'lls are laredos and you have v-belts? wow, thats crazy

Yes 4.2 has a v-belt and then when jeep switched to the 4.0 in came the serpentine belt.

superj 06-05-2013 11:05 AM

not on all of them. i know a couple 87,88, 89 YJs with a serpentine belt. mine is one and its all original but the block and a few internals for the stroker. but i have spoken to a number of people who all have serpentine on their 4.2. i think it is just luck of the draw to be with or without one and have the v-belts

The time now is 03:49 PM.