Water Pump Pulley - Studs vs no studs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Pump Pulley - Studs vs no studs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Water Pump Pulley - Studs vs no studs

Water pump leaked like a sieve during pressure test, left me with just over a gallon in radiator. Firestone wanted $400 plus to do it and one of the 'mechanics' was insisting that they replace my (working) tstat.
I dismantled everything with the pump ready to pull out (hanging by a heater hose) as it got dark...will wait for daylight.
Question - why does the original have studs on which the fan pulley will mount while none of the replacements at Autozone, Quadratec, NAPA, etc. show them in pics? How do I mount my fan now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You need to remove the studs from the old waterpump. If you look at the instructions that came with the new waterpump it will say that. Double nut the studs and then turn them out. I just did mine today but it was leaking worse so I have to take back apart tomorrow...also got too dark to finish.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

while its apart its always a good time to change the t stat
herculinded interior
custom bumper
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/update-my-xj-362812/
nudosimmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can't pull the water pump past the steering pump. Any ideas?
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

you need to take the bolts out of the bracket that bolt into the waterpump and make sure the other bolts for the ps pump are loose. Just took mine back out this morning...make sure you put the gasket on correctly otherwise the hole for the passage at the top left is offset slightly and will leak like a biotch!

Unread 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

never mind, muscled it past it. Now to the studs...
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

dtn8r, thx for the last suggestion, too. would be pointless exercise if she leaks again!
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, that PS bracket makes it a ***** to remove the WP. I'm sure it makes it difficult to install
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

replacement came with a gasket, looks like cardboard and no mention of self sealing or not. should I use RTV?
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes...rtv both sides...just finished mine and no leaks but I found out why it was running with no thermostat...the radiator must be shot! Temp gauge went to the red now when I took it out. Everything else is new! Arrrggghhh!

Unread 05-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
WhiteYJLA
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought new studs at Autozone. They have a kit with the studs and nuts that go on them for the fan clutch. I think the kit was $5.

I used that aviator gasket maker on mine so I didn't have to wait for the RTV to setup before filling the system up.
WhiteYJLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteYJLA View Post
I just bought new studs at Autozone. They have a kit with the studs and nuts that go on them for the fan clutch. I think the kit was $5.
Took Dtn8r's advice, studs were easy to switch off of old onto new pump.

I used that aviator gasket maker on mine so I didn't have to wait for the RTV to setup before filling the system up.
I forgot to look for that...next time!

Quote:
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Yes...rtv both sides...just finished mine and no leaks but I found out why it was running with no thermostat...the radiator must be shot! Temp gauge went to the red now when I took it out. Everything else is new! Arrrggghhh!
sorry to hear that

Quote:
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As the nuts and studs are between the fan clutch and pulley, how do you set the torque? I can't fit a ratchet or torque wrench in that space!
Also, what are the torque settings for the power steering pump mount bolts?

Quote:
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

27 N.m for the power steering bolts (all)

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.