Water Proofing my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Proofing my YJ

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 06-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
LI93RedYJ

Water Proofing my YJ

Any one have any tips on water profing my yj, i like to leave the top and doors off all the time and cant stand driving with it on. I took carpets out and am getting ready to install a herculiner paint on polymer liner inside my jeep im just not sure about the dash getting wet. Can anyone polease help

LI93RedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:17 PM   #2
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

yeah same here

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 06:11 AM   #3
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jeeps are waterproof. Just remove the carpet and plugz.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
Bob J

the only thing not water proof is the radio, Pioneer makes radios with completly sealed faces so rain, or coffee , wont hurt it.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 11:23 AM   #5
NHgrizzly

Hi everyone..New to this forum.

I take the top off as soon as possible and keep it off for the summer. If I know its going to rain I will park it in the garage and take the car, but thatís hard to do while your out in it. My Jeep has received several deep soakings. I have been caught in some heavy rains while sitting in traffic during my 1 hour commute. So much water, it was flowing over the edge when I turned a corner.
I just pull the plugs, put on my rain poncho and smile! So far nothing has shorted out.
01 Kawi Prairie 300 4x4
99 Polaris 600 XLT Sled
I do it because it makes me feel DIRTY!!!
<a href="http://photos.yahoo.com/nhgrizzly" target="_blank">http://photos.yahoo.com/nhgrizzly</a>
NHgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
LI93RedYJ

yeah but how waterproof is it, i have a bikini top and the rear view mirror even gets wet. i dont wanna start shorting wires and stuff. is there any way to make it better??
LI93RedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2002, 08:24 AM   #7
Chrisitne Whiteley

I ran my '91 with no top whatsoever for about 5 months, and yes, I got plenty wet. The only problem I had was with my Sony CD player. I also replaced the nasty carpet with truck bed liner.

My solution to the radio problem, if I ever got around to it, was a marine unit. They're waterproof, and more shock resistant than typical car stereos. Unfortunately they are also largely white, which looks a bit dumb... Check out <a href="http://www.boatus.com/." target="_blank">http://www.boatus.com/.</a>

Oh, and speakers... make sure not to get paper cones. they will last about a week in the water and sun.
GM NP241 transfer case
4.10 jeep axles
33x12.50 SuperSwampre TSLs
4.5 inch Rubecon Suspension lift
Chrisitne Whiteley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.