Water on passenger floor board? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water on passenger floor board?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Water on passenger floor board?

Why do I have water pouring inside my Jeep when it rains? - That is a fairly common occurance. The grill on the top of your engine area (just in front of the windshield) allows fresh air into the Jeep for the heater. It also allows water and snow to collect. There is a drain-hose on the firewall about 1.75" in diameter that can get plugged. Pull off the hose, and tip it upside down. Wash it out with the garden hose in the backyard and then wash the grill-area down as well pouring as much water down as possible to wash all the trapped dirt out. Place the hose back in place and enjoy dry feet again.

I read that in the FAQ so I took a butter bowl and filled it with water and dumped it into the cowl vent, all of it came out of the bottom of the Jeep and there was no water on the floor board.

After heavy rains, there is about an inch of water on my passenger floor board. There is a little stream from the front right corner of the tub, this is just judging by the wet spots on the floor.

I was wondering where else could water be getting in? My top does not leak, and the cowl vent drains. I am rhino lined and have no carpet so it is not a huge deal, but would like to get rid of the inch water on my floor.

Also looking for the cowl vent tube, I found an elbow under my battery, it is maybe a 1/4 inch rubber hose that has nothing on the end of it and goes into the fire wall. What is this? When I dumped water into the cowl vent nothing came out of this hose.

Unread 11-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Well I guess you have already read this by your comments.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...up-how-628941/

The elbow under the battery tray is a water drain for the heater box. It is seal against the firewall from the inside.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had not read that, I just saw the one I posted about the cowl. I will have to check the other spots.
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I had not read that, I just saw the one I posted about the cowl. I will have to check the other spots.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I think it is leaking through the body seam. Do you have to get auto body sealent or will any clear silicone caulking work? Also if it is just one spot do I need to redo the whole seam or can I just dab it on that one spot?
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure you could seal it with silicone, but any auto body supply/paint store should have body sealant and I believe it's pretty cheap and you can paint over it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.